injured duck need help

Side Beet Chickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 22, 2010
Hi,
2 weeks ago I had a fox attack and lost 1 duck and found 2 injured. 1 had a cut across her neck which I cleaned and is now fine, the second had a really deep bite to her wing, I cleaned the wound and covered with iodine and kept her in the kitchen, she was drinking every 10 mins. This was 2 weeks ago and she has seemed to be doing well, however the last couple of days she has not seemed herself. She will not go in the pond and spends a lot of time sitting down, gizzie is a white cambell and now has got dark circles round her eyes and looks like she is going through a malt. I caught her today to check her wound and it is very hard and looks like a dark lump I cleaned up again but could not remove the solid mass, she is eating and drinking well.
Can anyone please offer any help has I cant lose this little duck she's a real fighter this is the second fox attack she has survived.

Thanks D

Hi,
2 weeks ago I had a fox attack and lost 1 duck and found 2 injured. 1 had a cut across her neck which I cleaned and is now fine, the second had a really deep bite to her wing, I cleaned the wound and covered with iodine and kept her in the kitchen, she was drinking every 10 mins. This was 2 weeks ago and she has seemed to be doing well, however the last couple of days she has not seemed herself. She will not go in the pond and spends a lot of time sitting down, gizzie is a white cambell and now has got dark circles round her eyes and looks like she is going through a malt. I caught her today to check her wound and it is very hard and looks like a dark lump I cleaned up again but could not remove the solid mass, she is eating and drinking well.
Can anyone please offer any help has I cant lose this little duck she's a real fighter this is the second fox attack she has survived.

Thanks D
Can you take her to a vet? sounds like either a hematoma or infection especially with the way you are describing her actions. she will probably need it opened and drained it may have closed to soon, you could try putting her into some nice warm water and letting her wing soak for a bit, under constant supervision though and you may be able to loosen and open the wound then flush with saline or salt water [but don't let your duck drink any salt water] . but I am thinking she needs vet care and probably an antibiotic. Do they have a secure house for their protection from preds?

Thanks for the advice, going to ring vet first thing in morning, yes they have a house which I lock them away each night, unfortunatley the fox attacked again one evening when I was late home from work ( how I hate the winter ). The wound looked like it had healed fine thats why I put her back with the other ducks, is it possible it would become infected 2 weeks after when she has been acting fine and eating and even laying.

Thanks D

Thanks for the advice, going to ring vet first thing in morning, yes they have a house which I lock them away each night, unfortunatley the fox attacked again one evening when I was late home from work ( how I hate the winter ). The wound looked like it had healed fine thats why I put her back with the other ducks, is it possible it would become infected 2 weeks after when she has been acting fine and eating and even laying.

Thanks D
I am wondering and it's pure speculation on my part because I am not a vet and I haven't seen the wound up close or at all. It probably closed up too soon and didn't drain like it should have, hopefully the vet can open it up and get the thing draining and put her on some antibiotics to clear it up. Is she eating and drinking okay?

Yes she is eating and drinking welll
That's a positive, so good. Now to get the wing looked at. Let us know what you find out please. and Welcome to BYC
smile.png

Thanks for the advice, will let you know how I get on, lets hope for the best, gizzie is one of the family and such tough little duck

Back
Top Bottom