Injured duck with elbow issue

Soybeanfarms

Hatching
Oct 29, 2023
I took in an injured duck someone got off the road because Audubon isn't taking them right now. She's a northern shovler, looks full grown. No visible injuries so my best guess is her mate got hit and she was hanging around near the site. However, she's been quiet and doesn't even try to fly. The ones who caught her said she didn't fly from them either. I was checking her joints and something seems to be bothering her elbow. It's not warm but the joint is about twice the size of the other wings elbow and she doesn't let me extend it out. She appears to be presenting a bit of angel wing too so I'm not sure if this is something I need to treat specially or if I should just go for a wing wrap and hope it works. Thanks!

Here's a good angle of how she's holding the wing I think is injured

Attachments

• 20231029_141138.jpg
    20231029_141138.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231029_142915.jpg
    20231029_142915.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 6
Here's a good angle of how she's holding the wing I think is injured
I don’t have any experience with this but if it is an injury I wouldn’t just wrap it in case you do it wrong. Hopefully others will jump on and have experience in this situation
The angel wing look could be from the injury
Do you have any medicam ?
If so you can give her 1.5 ml every 24 hours
This will help with pain and swelling

It's hard to treat them when we don't know how they are injured. It may have been from over mating or she flew into something. I would feed her good duck food with the right nutrients in it and give her time to see if it would heal on its own myself. I had a Muscovy that was over mated once and had a wing injury from it. Good luck with her. I know they can't fly while they are molting too. One of my Mallards are doing that right now. I hope she gets better.

You could try Warm Epsom salt wraps it may help bring down swelling and inflammation. Do that for a few days before wrapping. If her mate got hit she may have gotten side swiped. Hard to say but if you can get hold of some Metacam or Meloxicam that will help as @New duck mommy 2021 said.

Back
Top Bottom