Injured duck with horrible pictures

Blu-kote is better for superficial wounds, not deep ones. It can also make it hard to assess what the tissue looks like as the healing goes on since it stains everything purple. An antibiotic ointment is better for deeper wounds. You can get electrolites that you can mix in water at most tractor supply stores, picture below.
It's a good idea to give it to them for half the day and then plain fresh water the rest of the day. You can mix up half the pack in 1/2 gallon of water to make it last longer and waste less.
electrolite.jpg

We only have tractor supplies by me can I get the electrolytes there and if I use blue kote should I not use ointment does it take it’s place. Was your ducks wound that exposed? Also even my smallest animal bowl they can fit in what do you recommend for drinking since they submerge their beak? I really wanna keep him he and my female are amazing as you know ducks and their personalities not to mention my female loves him dearly she was attacking me as I was taking the photos
If I remember correctly we used both. But only the put the ointment for the first couple of days. The bowl is fine as long as he can’t submerge his body. In my opinion I wouldn’t separate, that would only cause more distress. Unless you see he’s scared and wants to be alone you can. Ducks are very resilient but they can die from a scare, so give treats and lots of cuddles😄 This is what our wound looked like. He had 3 wounds on him too. (The purple stuff is blue-kote).
B9FB5DA4-FC8E-4293-9AD1-18275A59F129.jpeg
D2CAEAA8-2411-4E2B-B868-751BBABF8568.jpeg
617B608D-6C76-4ED1-938C-5AB14457C36B.jpeg

The last two pictures were taken about two weeks after and you can still see the indent.

If I remember correctly we used both. But only the put the ointment for the first couple of days. The bowl is fine as long as he can’t submerge his body. In my opinion I wouldn’t separate, that would only cause more distress. Unless you see he’s scared and wants to be alone you can. Ducks are very resilient but they can die from a scare, so give treats and lots of cuddles😄 This is what our wound looked like. He had 3 wounds on him too. (The purple stuff is blue-kote).View attachment 3588846 View attachment 3588857View attachment 3588858
The last two pictures were taken about two weeks after and you can still see the indent.
Thank you so much

I was able to use vetericyn to clean the wound and Neosporin the wound looked a lot smaller which I’m guessing is good I smelled no foul odor. He had a cut or two on his beak but I just put some ointment on it as well emptied both pools and gave a small bowl with electrolyte water he has his spunk back started talking to me again and has continued the assault on my toes so I think he is doing well. I will treat the wound as needed until it starts healing on its own! I couldn’t find any other wound but I also highly underestimated feather. I will check again tomorrow. He is drinking but I haven’t seen him eat I’m thinking of offering some eggs and mealworms in the am. Thank you all for your great advice! The vet wouldn’t take us and referred us 3 hours away! Will keep this thread posted for future duck parents!

Attachments

• IMG_4738.jpeg
    IMG_4738.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4739.jpeg
    IMG_4739.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 6
I would definitely check at the top like bellow her neck. View attachment 3589600
How is he acting so far? Does he seem scared and frightened or not really bothered by the incident?
He was 100% timid for probably 12 ish hours but when that dog goes outside I stand guard so it helped him gain his confidence again he is now back to his old self I have been changing out their water ever 1-2 hours to help make sure he is getting clean water I just watched him eat. He also followed me up the steps and into the house and nibbled on my leg and toes as he always did before the accident and he finally started cuddling with my other dog who is not aggressive at all. The female has also stepped in as aggressor and will throw her head down and run at whatever she thinks is trying to hurt him. I’m trying to not stress him out by checking him out but I know his wings are good. So I just need to check other surrounding areas I highly underestimated the ability of feathers and how well they hid things.

He was 100% timid for probably 12 ish hours but when that dog goes outside I stand guard so it helped him gain his confidence again he is now back to his old self I have been changing out their water ever 1-2 hours to help make sure he is getting clean water I just watched him eat. He also followed me up the steps and into the house and nibbled on my leg and toes as he always did before the accident and he finally started cuddling with my other dog who is not aggressive at all. The female has also stepped in as aggressor and will throw her head down and run at whatever she thinks is trying to hurt him. I’m trying to not stress him out by checking him out but I know his wings are good. So I just need to check other surrounding areas I highly underestimated the ability of feathers and how well they hid things.
Sounds like he’s doing good!

Sounds like he’s doing good!
I check him again and can’t find any other wounds other than two on his beak healing up nicely and that one on the underside so I wonder if the bite hit the beak and belly vs the neck. His beak it’s looking good and he loves for me to clean and put ointment on it I stuck my literally nose down by the wound still no smells so I’m hopping we are good.

Attachments

• IMG_8811.jpeg
    IMG_8811.jpeg
    538.1 KB · Views: 6
Final update he got his first bath tonight his wound is almost fully closed which blows my mind he is eating and drinking good and even flapped his wings after him and his lady did their business! I think for the most part we are fully recovered but I will continue to monitor his would for a few more days. Thank you all for your help! Glad to be able to keep our duck and I wouldn’t be here without you all! Now let’s just send me cooler temps because texas is trying to kill me

Back
Top Bottom