Injured Duck

DanieC

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 5, 2016
My duck is almost 2 months old and our rooster got into the baby section of the coop and beat up the duck. Some of her feathers are off her back and she's bruised, she also looks like she has a shiner but can see okay. However, she can't put weight on one leg. She pulls herself up with her bill to get around. I have her a warm bath today but didn't know if I could put Epson salt in the water like I do with injured chickens. She did well in the water since her weight was off her foot so my worry is that it may be her hip. I don't want her to get cold either since she is wet, so can I keep the heat lamp over her cage? Anything for pain? I've got her in her own cage in my "medical" ward of the barn. Also have a mended chicken in another cage keeping her company. Thanks for all the help in advance.

If it's the hip wrap a white band aid roll around her hip not too tight! If in the leg do the same thing wrap it around her leg! And separate her from the flock or the rooster. Let her have a rest alone :) hope she gets better

If it's the hip wrap a white band aid roll around her hip not too tight! If in the leg do the same thing wrap it around her leg! And separate her from the flock or the rooster. Let her have a rest alone :) hope she gets better

Thanks so much! She's chilly feeling so should I put the heat lamp on for the night?

Ducks can be prone to let injuries but they are also tough. I had two ducklings stripped of back feathers by a raccoon. It took about 10 Days for the leg injuries to resolve and about 30 days for the feathers to grow back. I kept them treated with Vetracin until the wounds closed but have found that time and quiet are best treatment for leg injuries. And I fixed the whole the Wiley raccoon found into their coop.

If you let the duck sit in an Epsom salt bath, don't let her drink the water as it is a laxative.

Update: Daisy is up and walking but not walking upright because her back is sore where the feathers were pulled out. Her back is all bruised so warm baths is what she will have for her therapy. There are no open wounds so I don't know what will help her back feel better once she's back in her cage. I turned the heat lamp on so the pine shavings warmed up then turned it off and found she had laid on those during the night. I"ll get a picture of her today and post it so you guys can see how she's walking. I can tell floating on the water is comfortable as its taking the strain off her back.

IMG_1743.jpg View attachment 1417547 Daisy is doing much better! She's standing up straight and walking normal. Most of the scabs have washed off her back with the warm soaks and there are no signs of injury to her hip or leg. This is what she looks like under her wing...she was swimming around so I could not get the full extent under her wing but this bit gives you an idea of why I was worried. Thank you all for your help!View attachment 1417547

Back
Top Bottom