Injured duck

DuckyBabies

Songster
Oct 15, 2018
I believe my dog bit my duck today. His neck was all wet and there were some feathers gone. When I got to him, he was panting and shaking. He never lets me pet him, but he was so scared to move that I was able to walk right up to him and pet him. He drank some water, but wouldn’t eat. I had to make him walk to go to his coop for the night. He is walking fine and even flapped his wings, but I am so worried about him. I didn’t see any puncture wounds on him, just a rough patch on his neck. Is there any kind of first aid I should be giving him?

Ive had this happen to my ducks before, they were just as scared and shocked as yours.

I gave them extra treats (lots of corn haha) and they were back to normal the next morning! I wouldnt worry!

You really need to look close under neath the feathers at the skin if thee is a wound it will need to be cleaned up real good , sounds like you duck is in shock and should be kept warm and quiet till he/she gets over it . And don’t ever leave a dog in attended with poultry (ducks) it’s just too easy for a dog to inflict serious injury really fast . I hope it isn’t serious please let us know after you have examined him really good.

He wouldn’t let me touch his wound. It’s so weird because him and my dog have such a bond. They play together every day. I wonder if my dog just accidentally got too rough. I tried to give him a little treat after loving on him, but he didn’t want it. I don’t even think he ate his dinner tonight, which is SO unlike him. He’s usually fighting with my female over crumbs at the bottom. He has been quacking a little bit, walking around in his coop, and drinking water. I really hope he was just stunned and that’s all. Unfortunately, I am going to have to watch my dog like a hawk or separate them.

Could have been your dog just got carried away with rough housing I have heard of many birds being killed that way. Don’t let your duck dictate what you can or cannot do to him you need to check him over real good and make sure he hasn’t been bitten. He may not like it but he’ll get over it .

Could have been your dog just got carried away with rough housing I have heard of many birds being killed that way. Don’t let your duck dictate what you can or cannot do to him you need to check him over real good and make sure he hasn’t been bitten. He may not like it but he’ll get over it .

He’s definitely gonna get checked. I may get bitten by the end of it, but I’ll be happy for peace of mind.

He wouldn’t let me touch his wound. It’s so weird because him and my dog have such a bond. They play together every day. I wonder if my dog just accidentally got too rough. I tried to give him a little treat after loving on him, but he didn’t want it. I don’t even think he ate his dinner tonight, which is SO unlike him. He’s usually fighting with my female over crumbs at the bottom. He has been quacking a little bit, walking around in his coop, and drinking water. I really hope he was just stunned and that’s all. Unfortunately, I am going to have to watch my dog like a hawk or separate them.
All it takes is once. I’d leave the dog secured somewhere if you’re not there.

Well I gave him a good look over this morning, which he wasn’t too happy about. Everything seems to be fine with him. Instantly after I let him out, he was trying to mate my female. I think he was just shocked when I got to him yesterday. I still don’t know if he ate or not. There is food left, which is very unusual for them.

Back
Top Bottom