Injured ducking PLEASE HELP

Jrbd82

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
Central Texas
OK so as the story goes I have a duck who gathered other ducks eggs along with her own and was hatching them and they are a week and more apart. We found one duckling out the other morning behind the food tray and not with the ducks. Just recently had still wet and cold. I put her with mama and she ended up flipping out and was OK.She seemed OK healthwise getting around and strong. Then last night I found her outside of the crate tangled up in the tarp I had over it. I moved her back in. This morning she is out of the crate again and has his terrible injury. I don’t know how to tend to it or if she’s going to survive. I need help if y’all can please

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 9
You have the duckling separated now, right? Was the injury from the broody? If you haven't already addressed it, she'll need a brooder setup with a heat source to keep her at the correct temperature for a duckling of her age.

From the photo, the wound looks like some skin has been ripped off - is it more extensive? Does she show any other symptoms?

I'd spray the wound with a wound healing spray like Vetericyn or apply an antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever). If it's a superficial wound, it should heal with time and treatment. Best wishes for her recovery.

You have the duckling separated now, right? Was the injury from the broody? If you haven't already addressed it, she'll need a brooder setup with a heat source to keep her at the correct temperature for a duckling of her age.

From the photo, the wound looks like some skin has been ripped off - is it more extensive? Does she show any other symptoms?

I'd spray the wound with a wound healing spray like Vetericyn or apply an antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever). If it's a superficial wound, it should heal with time and treatment. Best wishes for her recovery.
I did get her inside immediately. I made a saline wash and then covered the wound with antibiotic ointment. The skin was ripped off. She had eaten and had some to drink since

I doubt if mama did this she'll accept her back. I had a Muscovy duckling hatch and the mama attacked the little one in the face very similar to yours. I had to bring it in and keep him inside in a brooder . I would take him out daily so he could be around the other ducks and they would get use to him, But I never left him with them alone. He was about 10 weeks old before he slept outside overnight in the coop and then it was in a stall protected from everyone. Some ducks just like humans are not cut out to be mamas.

Back
Top Bottom