Injured Duckling (about one month old)

duckgirl99

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 5, 2013
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
I have a almost one month old penkin duckling.I let him outside with his brothers and sisters to swim.When i came back i noticed he was missing.It took me a while to find him.When i did he was lying down with blood on him and alot of feathers missing.I ran back inside and researched all i could.I gave him food and water wich he did not drink much of,then i put neosporin and any thing i could find in my first aid kit. I cleaned him off then applied more pain relief stuff. He slept in a box in my garage and this morning he ate and drank some. but he will not stand on one foot and nothing seems to be wrong with it. what should i do?

I'd say you're doing a great job and just keep doing what you're doing. Ducks have an amazing ability to heal. I've had more then one that has become injured in one way or another and all you can really do it give it it's own space to heal. It will let you know when it's ready to go back again.

I have a almost one month old penkin duckling.I let him outside with his brothers and sisters to swim.When i came back i noticed he was missing.It took me a while to find him.When i did he was lying down with blood on him and alot of feathers missing.I ran back inside and researched all i could.I gave him food and water wich he did not drink much of,then i put neosporin and any thing i could find in my first aid kit. I cleaned him off then applied more pain relief stuff. He slept in a box in my garage and this morning he ate and drank some. but he will not stand on one foot and nothing seems to be wrong with it. what should i do?
One thing you have to be extremely carful of is using meds with pain relief in it, especially ending in caine, waterfowl and poultry are very sensitive to it. it may be his leg and not the foot, can you put it in some room temp water just enough to float to see how it moves it's legs? don't leave it. And water therapy is one of the best ways to build strength after an injury.

Great idea! I forgot about the warmish water trick. Though at that age you have to keep and eye on them to make sure they can get out of the water by themselves because they will drown. Especially since at a month they are still wearing only their baby fluff and no feathers yet.

Great idea! I forgot about the warmish water trick. Though at that age you have to keep and eye on them to make sure they can get out of the water by themselves because they will drown. Especially since at a month they are still wearing only their baby fluff and no feathers yet.
Very true Too, very important not to leave young ducklings in a pool without a way to get out. This I am talking about is just a small tub just for water therapy, and duckgirl staying right with it.

He is doing much better now.But there is something still wrong with his leg and he just hops around and I feel so bad for him.I might wrap a stick around it but nothing looks wrong.We just put him back in the big house with the others and he really missed them!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
I will keep yall updated:)

sorry these are kinda gross but here are some before and after pictures.nothing looks wrong but he just will not use it! BEFORE: AFTER:
I have a baby goosling that one day could not walk on one foot,i left it alone n watched it adopted mom always with it,now a week later is able to get around better n wonder around,maybe with rest like with a sprain they heal n bounce back. Good luck

He is doing much better now.But there is something still wrong with his leg and he just hops around and I feel so bad for him.I might wrap a stick around it but nothing looks wrong.We just put him back in the big house with the others and he really missed them!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
I will keep yall updated:)
Are you doing water therapy? and will he use the leg when swimming? are you giving niacin?

He has gone swimming a couple times but,he does not seem to enjoy it as much as he used too... but i think he uses it when he swims.I noticed he likes to stand in the shallow parts and just stand on one leg.I have not given him any niacin.,where can I get some?

Back
Top Bottom