Injured duckling

Kabtac

Hatching
May 28, 2023
My son fell on one of our 3 week old ducklings and broke its upper leg. I have splinted it and stabilized that part of the leg. After 2 days it still looks like it doesn't have any movement in its foot. Will this be something it never regains or will it just take time?

I am not sure as I haven’t had a break in any of my ducks
I do know with any leg injuries or issues giving some extra vitamin B complex just helps to strengthen
Also if you have medicam ( anti inflammatory / pain killer ) I keep some on hand I get from my vet in case I have any with injuries
If not @BelovedBirds may have advise on baby aspirin
How is babies eating and drinking ?

My son fell on one of our 3 week old ducklings and broke its upper leg. I have splinted it and stabilized that part of the leg. After 2 days it still looks like it doesn't have any movement in its foot. Will this be something it never regains or will it just take time?
Ouch. Poor baby!
I do reccomend a vet, if you're able to get to one. What makes you believe the leg is broken? Is there swelling, heat, is the leg bent? Is he putting any weight on the leg at all?
Photos would be helpful to see

So first things first, if you can't get to a vet ASAP, I'd start water therapy. Don't have the water too warm, but since this is a baby I wouldn't have it cold either. A lukewarm bath would be best. Hopefully it will help a little with inflammation. Just allow him to float in there, for ten minutes or so, supervise him closely and dry him up after. I'd definitely supplement niacin through B complex, it may help with the healing.

Aspirin is suitable as a pain relief for ducks, but with him being so young and small I'm not sure what dose would be safe. I'd restrict his movement. Perhaps move the duckling with one of his friends, into a smaller cage so that he is forced to rest his leg. As trying to keep up with the others may cause him to make the injury worse.
If the ducklings are with mama, be sure that the duckling and his friend have a heat source.

@Miss Lydia what do you think?

I do not have a local vet that would address caring for the duck. I knew it was broken because I could palate the area and feel thr break. A picture would not show anything as in you cant see it, the duck is so small and black. The foot is just limp. The duck has movement in the 'hip' area but doesn't appear to be able to move anything past that right now. I just didn't know if it would be permanent or if all the swelling/inflammation could cause that.

I am not sure as I haven’t had a break in any of my ducks
I do know with any leg injuries or issues giving some extra vitamin B complex just helps to strengthen
Also if you have medicam ( anti inflammatory / pain killer ) I keep some on hand I get from my vet in case I have any with injuries
If not @BelovedBirds may have advise on baby aspirin
How is babies eating and drinking ?
It is getting along just fine, no problems with eating or drinking.

The duckling has recovered just fine. It's been almost 2 1/2 weeks. After one week the duckling was hard to keep the leg stabilized and was regaining movement. Now it is alad allowed in the pen with others and you would never have known.

Back
Top Bottom