Injured four week old chick - abrasion on head and back, neck twisting backwards

calmeter

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2017
Yesterday my husband found one of our four week old chicks in the yard upside down. He brought it in to me and I put it in a box for the evening. I noticed it had an abrasion on it's head, like what you would call a "rug burn" and also a bit of an abrasion on it's back. I'm thinking my dog my have mouthed it or stepped on it when running through the yard. It's been 24 hours and it's still alive, but it's head is twisting completely backwards so that on first checking up on it I can't tell which way is forward! Also, one leg wants to stick out to the side. This is a baby with three other siblings and a mother hen. All the other flock members are fine. The hurt chick feels warm and alert, but I'm not sure if it has multiple injuries? I tried to roll a towel into a donut shape to support it. I thought that it would have passed away, but it seems strong except for the parts that aren't working correctly. I've been giving it water in an eye dropper. I made up some water with an aspirin. I also have vitamins & electrolytes that I can give. But I don't know how to get it to eat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 4
Picture please
I tried to post some pictures. A video would be better, but I don’t see how to post it. The chick is still alive. It’s been about 48 hours. I can get a few drops of water in the side of the beak, but can’t get it to eat. It mostly keeps its eyes closed and softly peeps. I tried to make a donut out of a kitchen towel to support its head, that works for awhile until it starts kicking with one very strong leg. The other leg is weaker.

Back
Top Bottom