Injured goose with ruptured wounds

ivy_huan

Songster
May 31, 2022
Does anyone here have experience with ruptured wounds on the upper wings

My goose got attacked last Monday with some very nasty wound. He is very calm and alert when I noticed him being injured. Took him in and called the vet. Vet came and bandaged him up even tho she suggested to put him down as he has a couple of small holes in his upper wings and big chunk of meats were gone and she can't stitch up the wound.

After three days when I changed his bandage, the holes seem to sealed as I didn't hear any sound when bandage him up

But today I noticed the sound again .. .I haven't been putting gauze over his wound last couple of days because he keeps pull them off. I applied some honey and put his neck over the arm of a men's shirt sleeve shirt n tie up on the back

How will I know when he is out in the clear of this injury and he s going to recover ?

I feel bad for him. He seems pretty sad away from his family

Attachments

• PXL_20231120_180345038.jpg
    PXL_20231120_180345038.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20231120_180349727.jpg
    PXL_20231120_180349727.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 16
Wow that's a wound. But I tell you they are amazing how they can heal. Did the vet start him on antibiotics in case of infection?
As long as he can't get flies on him and cause maggots I would leave off the bandaging
Keep up with the manuka honey. You can also rinse with saline to help speed healing I wouldn't put him back with the flock until he is healed. Rinse with saline then let it dry then use the manuka not sure if reg honey does the same. Saline recipes are online too.
How is he doing with eating and drinking and pooping?
What kind of sound are you talking about? breathing problems?

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the replies
The vet has prescribed antibiotics, I got two syringes of anti inflammatory and some powdered antibiotics to mix in the water.
He doesn't touch those mixed water very much. So right now I'm just keeping applying antibiotic ointment on his wounds. I'm planning on adding colloidal silver in his water soon to help fight off the infection

The sound I can hear is almost like an air leak sound when he breaths, that was very noticeable when I made the post. But it seems to be less audible since. I can still hear it every now and then.

I kept him in the spare bathroom but he seemed to be really sad and depressed... So I took him into the rec room where he can see the outside from the sliding door and he can see his families. He seems to perk up a bit and walking around

As of the bandage, is it possible or okay to just leave the bandage and gauze off ?
It seems to restricted the air flow to the wound.
Can I apply coconut oil on the wound to keep it moist ?

I'll make some saline to wash his wound.

How long will it take for the wound to heal ?
What can I expect ? Like will he be able to get the full function of his wings back ? They look pretty torn

Here is info on wound healing which helped me to understand what should be done especially in a wound like you goose has.
https://sandiegowoundcarecenter.com/wounds-air-healing/
As for whether he have full use of his wings we don't know hopefully, you'll just have to wait and see on that. But that is great you were able to move him where he could see his family. I'd keep it that way, Isolation can cause depression but if he can see them that sounds like it perked him up. You just don't want them to be able to mess with the healing process and if he was with them they may start messing with the wounds. Can you give him his meds by mouth? Might have to get someone to hold him so you have both hands but I will give you info on giving meds by mouth.
some meds taste awful so giving them by mouth might be the best way
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Maybe leave off the saline rinse too it may dry the wound out too much.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the replies
The vet has prescribed antibiotics, I got two syringes of anti inflammatory and some powdered antibiotics to mix in the water.
He doesn't touch those mixed water very much. So right now I'm just keeping applying antibiotic ointment on his wounds. I'm planning on adding colloidal silver in his water soon to help fight off the infection

The sound I can hear is almost like an air leak sound when he breaths, that was very noticeable when I made the post. But it seems to be less audible since. I can still hear it every now and then.

I kept him in the spare bathroom but he seemed to be really sad and depressed... So I took him into the rec room where he can see the outside from the sliding door and he can see his families. He seems to perk up a bit and walking around

As of the bandage, is it possible or okay to just leave the bandage and gauze off ?
It seems to restricted the air flow to the wound.
Can I apply coconut oil on the wound to keep it moist ?

I'll make some saline to wash his wound.

How long will it take for the wound to heal ?
What can I expect ? Like will he be able to get the full function of his wings back ? They look pretty torn
What kind of antibiotics are they and what milligram strength are they?

Back
Top Bottom