Injured guinea keet

Zuri had no dots. He had a tan patch between his shoulders and top of rump. Those are gone. Now he has some very light tan tips.
Now Cocoa has dots- that Carl person told me they had no dots. But he did tell me Willow's dots would molt out, and that does seem to be happening over time, but she still has them. I suppose different points of view are good, but you know me, I want set in stone expectations. Lol. Willow has her bustle going on already like she's the belle of the ball.lol.
Oh what an awful thing to happen to Mama! I’m so very sorry!!! :hitWhat an awful was to find your treasured bird.

Chocolate and coral blue are both semi-pearled. They go through a juvenile phase where it’s hard to tell whether they are fully pearled or semipearled, but the young keets will have wavy head lines if semipearled. Willow and Mockie both look semipearled to me now. Your light colored bird is so light that it seems like it could have subtle dots, white on white. In younger pics I think that Zuri was semipearled? So buff or opaline?

Oh what an awful thing to happen to Mama! I’m so very sorry!!! :hitWhat an awful was to find your treasured bird.

Chocolate and coral blue are both semi-pearled. They go through a juvenile phase where it’s hard to tell whether they are fully pearled or semipearled, but the young keets will have wavy head lines if semipearled. Willow and Mockie both look semipearled to me now. Your light colored bird is so light that it seems like it could have subtle dots, white on white. In younger pics I think that Zuri was semipearled? So buff or opaline?
20220910_230130.jpg
🤷‍♀️

So I squatted down next to Zuri this a.m. You have amazing attention to detail skills, bc he does, in fact, have semi pearling in the lower wing area same as Cocoa - most wouldn't even notice it if not looking for them. Gf doesn't say much specific about pearling, but GFI chart Screenshot_20220911-091546_PDF Reader.jpg
Will be fun to see how he turns out.

So I squatted down next to Zuri this a.m. You have amazing attention to detail skills, bc he does, in fact, have semi pearling in the lower wing area same as Cocoa - most wouldn't even notice it if not looking for them. Gf doesn't say much specific about pearling, but GFI chart View attachment 3256183
Will be fun to see how he turns out.
Porcelain is fully pearled and opaline is semipearled. Since I think your keet had wavy head lines and at its current age it has pale cranial skin, I would guess opaline.

Porcelain is fully pearled and opaline is semipearled. Since I think your keet had wavy head lines and at its current age it has pale cranial skin, I would guess opaline.
Screenshot_20220911-115523_Chrome.jpg
Still not sure how to read this chart- if Zuri is opaline, and yes, thin wavy lines - then he's nondominant blue/buff semi pearled, Willow is nondominant blue semi pearled, Mockie is nondominant brown -heh, look at that, semi pearled, the violets are dominant gray nonpearled,the slates are non dominant blue nonpearled, and Numi is non dominate blue pearled. .........sounds like I'm going to end up with a lot of PGs..lol. Good thing these working animals turned into lavishly spoiled pets.:gig

View attachment 3256333
Still not sure how to read this chart- if Zuri is opaline, and yes, thin wavy lines - then he's nondominant blue/buff semi pearled, Willow is nondominant blue semi pearled, Mockie is nondominant brown -heh, look at that, semi pearled, the violets are dominant gray nonpearled,the slates are non dominant blue nonpearled, and Numi is non dominate blue pearled. .........sounds like I'm going to end up with a lot of PGs..lol. Good thing these working animals turned into lavishly spoiled pets.:gig
I use Jessica Farmer’s chart instead, but similar principles! I am guessing that your F1 (first generation) babies will be a lot of royal purples and slates, with a smattering of others like violet, lavender and coral blue, because you have a lot of semipearled and attenuate genes. Genetics of your GF bird pairs should be simpler to figure out than backyard flocks, as I’m guessing they have pens of homozygous birds so that they only get their planned colors of keets.

I’ve been ridiculously agonizing over whether to keep all of my GF babies or sell a half dozen. I think I just decided to keep them all. A difference of six doesn’t seem like much (next to the 43 adult + keets I currently have!), and I’m looking at some of these kind of slowly growing and poor doer blues and pastels and thinking I wouldn’t really feel right trying to sell these poor doers to someone else. The pintos and slates I got from them look better, with one slate and one pinto being particularly vigorous. The two keets that I kept from my own birds are both pretty mild mannered - the more dominant, flighty keets were the ones that I sold. So I’m guessing that this whole subflock of 18 guineas is going to be pretty mild mannered and not very flighty, so will probably get bullied by my older birds and eaten by predators. If they all make it they will be overcrowded, but I’m guessing that I’ll be losing a decent number of them to illness or predators in the next few months. 🤷‍♀️ I guess that’s what happens when you select for color instead of robustness or behavior. I tried to add keets from Violas nest specifically because she is the smartest Guinea I’ve seen. Her brother Razorback is really smart and bold too, but I couldn’t figure out which eggs were his mate’s. Unfortunately, Violas keets (all Pearl grey, like the cock she paired with) all died, from heat exhaustion or matricide. If she survives the year, I’ll try again to figure out which eggs are hers and add only from them or Razorback to the flock.

I use Jessica Farmer’s chart instead, but similar principles! I am guessing that your F1 (first generation) babies will be a lot of royal purples and slates, with a smattering of others like violet, lavender and coral blue, because you have a lot of semipearled and attenuate genes. Genetics of your GF bird pairs should be simpler to figure out than backyard flocks, as I’m guessing they have pens of homozygous birds so that they only get their planned colors of keets.

I’ve been ridiculously agonizing over whether to keep all of my GF babies or sell a half dozen. I think I just decided to keep them all. A difference of six doesn’t seem like much (next to the 43 adult + keets I currently have!), and I’m looking at some of these kind of slowly growing and poor doer blues and pastels and thinking I wouldn’t really feel right trying to sell these poor doers to someone else. The pintos and slates I got from them look better, with one slate and one pinto being particularly vigorous. The two keets that I kept from my own birds are both pretty mild mannered - the more dominant, flighty keets were the ones that I sold. So I’m guessing that this whole subflock of 18 guineas is going to be pretty mild mannered and not very flighty, so will probably get bullied by my older birds and eaten by predators. If they all make it they will be overcrowded, but I’m guessing that I’ll be losing a decent number of them to illness or predators in the next few months. 🤷‍♀️ I guess that’s what happens when you select for color instead of robustness or behavior. I tried to add keets from Violas nest specifically because she is the smartest Guinea I’ve seen. Her brother Razorback is really smart and bold too, but I couldn’t figure out which eggs were his mate’s. Unfortunately, Violas keets (all Pearl grey, like the cock she paired with) all died, from heat exhaustion or matricide. If she survives the year, I’ll try again to figure out which eggs are hers and add only from them or Razorback to the flock.
Well, if I thought they'd ship ok I'd take some off your hands,but we see how that's going.
Something I'm curious about is male parenting skills. Ppl seem skeptical in other grps when I mention how great my boys are with keets. I've had to rearrange my thinking on type & lineage- yes, my jumbos are amazing dads/stand ins, but so was Nugget. Nugget & PJ were from the original group from Hoover's, so home grown, but not home hatched.
Mia & Brodie must both be PJs, since they're both Jumbos. Brodie was Mama's and raised by Mama, Mia was Bella's,incubated, and taken over by the boys at 3 wks. None were Nugget's, none are Mia's. You wouldn't think that given the attentiveness and protectiveness they show with the keets. I would say who they belong to doesn't matter, but Mia had nothing to do w/the GF keets. Brodie is still good with them.
Is that the flock dynamic you wonder gets lost,or have you experienced males behaving like this?

Back
Top Bottom