Injured hen, attacked by animal 2 weeks ago, bruised side, severe limping, help!

Doodlebug66409

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
My one year old red cap hen was attacked by an unknown animal. My father-in-law found her at dusk huddled between two rocks. There were some cuts on the back of her neck, missing feathers there. Her left wing seemed to be flapping and she would not put weight on her left leg. I was out of town, but he isolated her in a crate and did no treatments. He did not call and tell me we had an injured bird. When I got home, I examined her and the cuts were already well stabbed over. The entire left side of her body was green, like a healing bruise. She is drinking and eating well, but not moving around much. She has loose stool. She is not laying although she was a reliable layer before. I cannot feel anything broken and she tolerated my inspection without complaint. Her wing seems fine now and she is not holding it out or favoring it. I'm guessing that was an early symptom of the bruising. We've kept her quiet, confined and isolated to give her time to heal. Yesterday I put her on the ground and she barely puts any weight on the leg, limping badly and sitting when she puts some distance between us. The bruise on her side is getting better, but still green, one section darker than the rest (perhaps the brunt of the injury?). I. put her back in the crate. We use cider vinegar in our water already, but I will increase the dosage per my research. I plan to begin giving her some yogurt to help with the loose stool. What else should I do? It's been more than two weeks now since the injury. Thanks so much!

Yesterday I put her on the ground and she barely puts any weight on the leg, limping badly and sitting when she puts some distance between us. The bruise on her side is getting better, but still green, one section darker than the rest (perhaps the brunt of the injury?). I. put her back in the crate. We use cider vinegar in our water already, but I will increase the dosage per my research. I plan to begin giving her some yogurt to help with the loose stool. What else should I do? It's been more than two weeks now since the injury. Thanks so much!
Limiting her movement is good. As she is eating and drinking well sounds like on her way to recovery. The vinegar in water will help her in so many ways for becoming healthy too. The green bruising and the darker area where on her body is it? A large muscle area can be a deep bruise and take longer for it go away.

I would try some poultry vitamins, maybe boost her protein in her feed up to help with healing. Make her a chicken sling so she can stretch out her legs without having to put weight on it and get some exercise by moving her leg without weight on it. Chicken physical therapy. Have you given her an internal vent exam to check if everything is ok there?

Thank you, Saraven!
I've added some boiled egg to her diet to increase the protein. I gave her an epsom bath yesterday to clean her feather from the loose stool. Once her feathers were wet, I got a much better look at her skin (doh!). The entire left side of her body was a big bruise and is still very yellow. Other than not putting weight on her leg, everything else seems fine. She's still a fiesty girl. I will make her a sling today. I very much appreciate your advice.

Back
Top Bottom