Injured hen drinking and spilling a lot

To update everyone, Elsa made a miraculous recovery. I'm starting to think she is a bionic chicken. She already survived a dog attack in which her wing bone was broken and punctured through the skin, now to recover from a raccoon? The only reason I woke up that night was hearing a raccoon death scream, which must have been her attacking the raccoon and saving the rest of the hens (or avenging the death of her best friend).

We allowed her some time outside yesterday, and she wandered back to the coop, attacked each chicken, and took her place at the top of the pecking order, again. A short 7 days of rest and already back in charge of everything.

Wow, she sure recovered fast. Is she eating okay with her fractured beak? How is her nostril that had been blocked with blood? Does she have any wounds that might get pecked? Glad that she is back with her friends and being the boss.

The only wounds were on her comb and beak and haven't bled at all since the morning she was attacked. I was a little worried, but they seem to be leaving her alone. I think the fracture in her beak actually messed with her nostril. Can anything be done with that? She seemed to be breathing out of her eye, as crazy as it sounds. Any suggestions? I tried cleaning her up as much as I could, but no blood was coming off, so I thought it might be a fracture and pooled blood (bruising).

She seemed to be eating fine. She never went for any solid food, but decided to eat her regular food and meal worms one day. She has been pecking around in the dirt all day and we tosser her an apple she enjoyed.

Can you try using a little hydrogen peroxide on some Qtips to soften and “fizz out” the blood in her nostril? You can very gingerly try to pick out any blockage with a wooden toothpick. The sinus is connected to the eyes, so a blocked nostril might have caused the air to come out her eye socket. So glad to hear that she is eating and drinking, and that she is back with the flock. That is pretty amazing, and shows how tough chickens can be. Let us know how she is getting along.

And this thread illustrates much of what is wonderful about BYC. Experts giving expert advice freely, wonderful cell phone cameras to help with diagnosis, and folks like me in the cheering peanut gallery, all hoping and willing Elsa to get better.

Back
Top Bottom