Injured hen not doing well

Thefosterfivefarm

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2022
Hello everyone, when I went to let the hens out this morning I noticed my barred rock acting sluggish. I let her out hoping some sunshine would make her more perky but when I checked on her a few minutes later I noticed she had blood on her head. Our neighbors rooster has been coming over everyday and she doesn’t get along with him very well but I didn’t think he would hurt her this bad. I tried to clean her up a bit and give her some food and water but she isn’t keeping her eyes open very long to eat or drink. I don’t know how to help her so I was hoping someone else does
Here are some pics of her

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 4
She may be in shock. I would isolate her somewhere dark and quiet. And add some electrolytes to her water (in hopes she might drinking).

I have had success getting reluctant drinkers by using a dropper - not forcing it down them, but putting drops next to their beak.

Once she's been treated for shock then you can deal with the wound. Flush it out with some sterile saline, chlorhexidine (Hibiclens), or mild soapy water. Dry it off and apply a thick layer of plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment, reapply a couple of times a day, as needed, to keep the wound covered with it and moist, Don't try to bandage it. You may need to keep her separated to prevent others from pecking it until it's healed up. It may form a very thick scab, that will eventually come off. I had a bird have this happen, much worse, and it took a couple of months to heal, picture below is about 5 weeks in, feathers just starting to regrow.
headwound.jpg

Back
Top Bottom