Injured Hen questions

appleelves

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Hello,

We have an 8-month old Australorp hen who is part of our mixed, 8 hen flock. She was recently attacked by a fox. I suspect it was a female fox with a litter, since the attack was right at dusk.

After hearing the attack and fox's noise, I chased it off and found the hen lying in the grass. Fortunately, she didn't have any damage to her head or organs, and no bleeding, though her rump was ripped up pretty bad and all feathers in that area were gone.

We tended to her the best we could, and the next morning, my wife took her into our neighborhood vet, who stitched her up. (She laid an egg while under anesthesia!). We're keeping her in the house in a box and giving her pill-form antibiotics. Happy to say she's alert, active, and regaining her strength each day. On to my questions.

1. The skin in the exposed and sutured rump area has looked healthy and clean. Lately, however, it's looking yellow-gold with a few pink spots. It almost looks as though it's been slightly cooked. Is this normal for healing skin? Should we do anything about it?

2. Suggestions on reintroducing her to the flock? At night? What if her feathers aren't grown in(which I was told takes about 3+ weeks to begin growth again)? Will her flock mates abuse her?

Answers to the above, plus any other information would be very much appreciated!

Appleelves

welcome-byc.gif
from TN
1 its sounds like it is healing back to me, and is probally fine.
2 I would make sure the wound is completely healed, so it wont get torn back open.

I would look for feather starters in the next few days. If you do not see a good start, then you will need to keep a close eye on the hen.

I had a leghorn hen get her tail feathers pulled out by what I think was a fox. She ran around with a rump butt for a few days and I saw feather stumps starting.

She is pretty much back to normal and this has been about a month.

Chickens are fast healers and they can take a licking and keep on ticking. You need to keep some antibiotics in the hen for a few weeks to help her out.

Hi, and welcome!

I was wondering what type of antibiotic you are using. I have a hen with a wound which doesn't seem to be healing and was wondering if there was an antibiotic you were using which could be purchased at a feed store.

Thanks and best of luck. That must have been traumatic for your poor hen.

Back
Top Bottom