Injured hen

Rashel82

Hatching
Sep 1, 2018
A bobcat got into my backyard and ate two of my hens. I found a third hen in the neighbors backyard. I brought her home and saw that she has some puncture wounds on her neck and under her wing. They aren’t bleeding, and don’t look infected. I have her quarantined in my living room with food and water. She’s just laying there. Is there anything I can do to improve her chances of living?

How long ago was the attack? So sorry for your loss. Is she awake and alert or sleeping? She may be in shock, so I would keep her quiet, warm, and in a dim basket or do crate. If she is awake and alert, you can offer sips of water or watery chicken feed and chopped egg to her beak. Water is more important. Poultry Cell or NutriDrench are good for electrolytes for a couple of days. Vetericyn Wound Spray from a feed store or some saline or disinfectant can be used to clean wounds (no peroxide.) Plain neosporin ointment is good to apply twice a day to the wounds after cleaning. Survival can depend on if any damage was done to internal organs. I am so sorry that she is badly injured.

I believe the attack happened this morning. I was out of town and my mother in law was watching the kids, and my daughter said she heard a commotion this morning. She is awake, but she’s just standing or laying there. She’s not wanting to eat or drink anything. I’ll move her crate from the living room to a quiet dark room. Thanks. It’s hard because these are my first hens, and I raised them from 1 week old.

It can be hard to protect them from predators when they are outside in the daytime roaming around. Holding some water up to her beak just in case she is thirsty would be good. Hopefully, by morning, she will be more responsive after she rests. Placing an old towel or puppy pads under her is a good way to look at her droppings. Predators may squeeze them and do internal damage. Tomorrow, I would go over her skin to look more thoroughly for any unseen wounds. They can get them under wings. Please let us know how she is doing in the morning and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom