Injured Hen

KendallK

Hatching
Nov 7, 2020
Yesterday something attacked our flock of chickens, they're still young (8 weeks) so it might have been our cat. One was dead and three I found scattered, but one was missing. I couple of hours later I heard a fuss and went to check and my toy poodle had found the missing girl and cornered her, she had her head stuck on the wiring to a cage. I got her out and she seemed pretty stunned but moved fine once I brought her in. I put her in the coop and she seemed fine. This morning she didn't come out with the rest of the girls and was on the nesting box instead of the roost. I have her in a box inside now, she didn't give me her usual sass when I picked her up and she's obviously not feeling well. But there's no blood and she let me check her over, I don't see any bruising. She did try to perch on the box but seemed a bit unbalanced (that could have just been because a box isn't a very good perch). Is there anything I should be looking for?

I’m no expert — responding to bump you back to the top of the queue.

I’m not sure how to check for internal injury because chickens hide pain and injury well. But I’d watch closely for continuing lost balance, discharge at either end, and the various signs of being unwell (puffed up, eyes closed, etc).

I hope you get a more knowledgeable response soon.

Let us know if she's eating and drinking on her own. Also, take note of what her poop looks like, just in case someone with more knowledge asks. Something that may be making her feel unwell is being separated from her flock, especially if she was buddies with the bird that died. A nice quiet night's rest may help; she's been through a lot today!

Button started perking up yesterday evening, she ate and drank water so I'm a lot less worried now. I'm at work now but I'll check get poop when I get off and see if it looks normal.

Back
Top Bottom