Injured leg from spiral ring. Can't stand on it.

mrstomcat

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
I have a 4 month old chicken that can't stand on her leg. The spiral ring had punctured her leg. It is very gross looking and is swollen, red and purple. I've doctored it with betadine and antibiotic cream and it is worse. What can I do for her? I'm about to soak it in some Epsom salt. Any other suggestions. She needs something done quickly.

Mrstomcat. Texas

I have a 4 month old chicken that can't stand on her leg. The spiral ring had punctured her leg. It is very gross looking and is swollen, red and purple. I've doctored it with betadine and antibiotic cream and it is worse. What can I do for her? I'm about to soak it in some Epsom salt. Any other suggestions. She needs something done quickly.

Mrstomcat. Texas

Oral or injectable antibiotics, but I'm not sure which one would be best. Can you post a picture?

-Kathy

Last edited:
I've given her a penicillin shot a couple of days ago and it's no better. I will try to post a picture. Not sure how to do that but will try and figure it out. She needs help badly.

Do you have a camera phone? If so, send a picture to my email and I'll post it for you. My email address is my BYC user name @gmail.com.

-Kathy

Kathy, did you get the pictures I sent of my chicken with the hurt foot. I never heard back so wasn't sure.
[/IMG][/IMG]

That is a side view I was practicing trying to load. I have the front and back view I will send too. I soaked her foot in Epsom salt warm water. I took a needle and opened all the holes filled with fluid then put some topical ointment with salt on her foot and wrapped it up. I have her separated from all the other chickens.
. If anyone has any other suggestions on what to do please let me know. Oh, I also gave her some more penicillin.

It's not black yet, so that's a very good sign. You could try giving some baby aspirin, but I don't know how much you can give a chicken, so look it up before you give it. Also, very very careful when wrapping, especially if you're using something like vetwrap as it's way too easy to get it too tight.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom