Injured Leg - Other Problems Too - Urgent!

Probably not too good for the leg, but it won't kill her. A stuck egg might. So she will have to endure it. We can work on the leg later. For now, check her for an egg and if there is one, you need to get it out fast. She can't go too long without defecating.

you can also try putting her in a box with heat lamp, and if its egg binding, she needs calcium, calcium and heat can help egg binding. Keep us updated!

Victoria died..
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Rest in peace my special girl... Rest in peace..

Oh NO! Oh, I am so so sorry.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I know how hard it is to lose them. You did your best and that is all that is expected. You save countless birds from death daily through your rescues.

I really hope your heavy heart can heal soon.
hugs.gif

Sorry for your loss... Did she have a stuck egg? I don want to sound insensitive, but you should probably do a necropsy on her as it will help you in the future in diagnosing problems. If she died from an egg laying issue or cancer it will be pretty obvious.

-Kathy

FWIW, my vet has instructed me to do the following when treating an egg bound hen.

1) Give fluids either orally or subcutaneously, lots of them. Fluids are *very* important when treating egg binding.

2) Give calcium at 100mg/kg every 12 hours.

3) Place in a warm bathroom full of steam.

It's been my experience that a bath can do way more harm than good and there have been quite a few people on BYC that have *killed* their birds by bathing them.

-Kathy

Necropsies are free in CA, you just have to pay for shipping, which is less than $20 if you use the UC Davis FedEx account number.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom