injured peacock.....help!

campdirector

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan City, IN
Hey all,

Okay I am having a moral dilemma. A week ago today I came home to find my peacock on he back deck sitting with the hen standing by him. As i approached I saw he had his right leg folded back and it looked scraped up. As I got closer he stood up and hopped away. He dragged the right leg behind him and seemed to have no control of it. I immediately called a vet friend of mine who took him to the clinic and did x-rays. There were no broken bones but obvious nerve damage. He had no feeling in the right leg. My friend said there was nothing they could do for him and said just to keep an eye on him because sometimes they might regain feeling in the leg. When I brought him home he was not eating or drinking but a couple days later he started doing both. For the last couple days when I open the coop to let the flock out (chickens, peahen and 1 guinea) he hops right after them. Tonight he actually flew up on top of the coop (approx. 10 foot of the ground). Sooooo.......my question is do I need to put him down even though he seems to be adjusting well? Second if I don't put him down and he never regains control of the leg should I have it amputated or just leave it be? Can a 1 legged peacock survive normally?Well, thanks in advance for all the advice everyone.

scott

p.s.-I still have no idea what happen. I think possibly he got it caught somewhere or hit by a car.

It sounds as if he is adapting to his disability. As long as he is enjoying life, I would do nothing.I would surely not put him down and would not have the leg amputated. If he starts going downhill, you can then rethink the situation. Sourland is hoping for a complete recovery for him.
fl.gif

I've been told they can make miraculous recoveries so give him some time. Not sure if he should be real active.....maybe best to keep him in the coop for a while but make sure he has a low roost to get on with surface for feet at least 4" wide.

I would give him at least three or four months---nerves take a while to heal sometimes. As long as he continues to eat and do okay otherwise---I would grant him some extra time.

I have a male that had a serious infection in his ankle last summer. Long story short, after a false start with a vet new to birds and a surgery from a far more experienced vet, we got rid of the infection and he recovered. He can still move his foot up and down, but he doesn't use it to bear weight unless he is taking off or steadying himself- like yours, he hops around. He's adapted very well, and the others with him seem to know he is 'not quite right'. Except his sister, who makes sure everyone knows she is boss of everything, no one picks on him. The other male in the pen even keeps an eye on him, watching him when he hops anywhere, face kicking any chicken roosters that get too close while they are eating treats together and generally being a good guy to his gimpy friend. Blu has adapted by spending more time laying down in the sun or on perches. He's mostly figured out when he HAS to move if I'm walking toward him versus when he can stay put and let me go past. He perches on the 6ft tall 2x4" perches at night with the rest of them with no trouble (but he can and does use his other foot to launch himself up there, so lower ones for yours might be better).

The major concern about a 1 legged peacock is that once they are full grown and they have their train on as well, that's a lot of weight for one leg to bear. Even a peacock with 2 functioning legs can slip a tendon in their leg, which can be very painful and stressful. The additional weight puts a lot of stress on the one leg, especially since the weight is bouncing, not rolling like when they stroll around normally. Blu hasn't gotten a full train yet (he's only 2), but I intend to clip his when he does, to lighten that load some.

So, to answer your question- yes they CAN, but you'll have to keep very careful watch on him, and alter the caging some for him, and make sure that he is not around anyone that will chase or otherwise stress him.

I have a male that had a serious infection in his ankle last summer. Long story short, after a false start with a vet new to birds and a surgery from a far more experienced vet, we got rid of the infection and he recovered. He can still move his foot up and down, but he doesn't use it to bear weight unless he is taking off or steadying himself- like yours, he hops around. He's adapted very well, and the others with him seem to know he is 'not quite right'. Except his sister, who makes sure everyone knows she is boss of everything, no one picks on him. The other male in the pen even keeps an eye on him, watching him when he hops anywhere, face kicking any chicken roosters that get too close while they are eating treats together and generally being a good guy to his gimpy friend. Blu has adapted by spending more time laying down in the sun or on perches. He's mostly figured out when he HAS to move if I'm walking toward him versus when he can stay put and let me go past. He perches on the 6ft tall 2x4" perches at night with the rest of them with no trouble (but he can and does use his other foot to launch himself up there, so lower ones for yours might be better).

The major concern about a 1 legged peacock is that once they are full grown and they have their train on as well, that's a lot of weight for one leg to bear. Even a peacock with 2 functioning legs can slip a tendon in their leg, which can be very painful and stressful. The additional weight puts a lot of stress on the one leg, especially since the weight is bouncing, not rolling like when they stroll around normally. Blu hasn't gotten a full train yet (he's only 2), but I intend to clip his when he does, to lighten that load some.

So, to answer your question- yes they CAN, but you'll have to keep very careful watch on him, and alter the caging some for him, and make sure that he is not around anyone that will chase or otherwise stress him.

Hey guys,

So I have an update on my Pea with the nerve damage leg. So to recap mid may I found him on the back porch sitting. When he got up he was holding the right leg up in the air. I took him to the vet and they x-rayed and found no broken bones but he had nerve damage. Well over the past couple of months he adapted well to hopping on the 1 leg. He kept up with my other Pea and even started flying up onto to the house again. He seemed to learn quickly how to use just the one leg. Approx. 2 weeks ago I noticed he started pitting the other leg down and using it as a kick stand of sorts. He still did not uncurl the foot but it appeared as if the nerve was starting to regenerate. He def. had feeling in the leg again. The last week he has shown great progress and I noticed he was using both feet to walk and the injured foot was uncurled. As of today he was doing great and only walks with a slight limp. The injured leg and nerve appears to have completely come back! So, thanks all for the advice. It took 2 months but my IB is back on track to becoming a beautiful Peacock!

Scott

Hey guys,

So I have an update on my Pea with the nerve damage leg. So to recap mid may I found him on the back porch sitting. When he got up he was holding the right leg up in the air. I took him to the vet and they x-rayed and found no broken bones but he had nerve damage. Well over the past couple of months he adapted well to hopping on the 1 leg. He kept up with my other Pea and even started flying up onto to the house again. He seemed to learn quickly how to use just the one leg. Approx. 2 weeks ago I noticed he started pitting the other leg down and using it as a kick stand of sorts. He still did not uncurl the foot but it appeared as if the nerve was starting to regenerate. He def. had feeling in the leg again. The last week he has shown great progress and I noticed he was using both feet to walk and the injured foot was uncurled. As of today he was doing great and only walks with a slight limp. The injured leg and nerve appears to have completely come back! So, thanks all for the advice. It took 2 months but my IB is back on track to becoming a beautiful Peacock!

Scott
yay!! wonderful news to hear!!!

TerriLaChicks, I'm so happy to hear your peacock has made a miraculous recovery.

Kedreeva, it's wonderful I read on this line that so many are willing to do what it takes to take care of their peafowl regardless of what it takes during and after being ill or hurt. I have friends, acquaintances and neighbors that make little to no effort when their are injured. They even ridicule and laugh at me due to my dedication. I have a peahen that broke her wing a couple years ago. A local vet taped it for 2 months and she lived on our closed in back porch changing out cardboard over the floor for 2 months while it healed. Unfortunately he didn't set it in the proper position so it hands lower then the other. Being frightened she'll break it again I don't let her freerange anymore. She takes up valuable pen space I could use for my more exotic peas but that's ok, I love her and will take care of her. An Emerald Spalding male, 2 years old now is doing great after injuring himself flying into a post in the pen. The only tell-tale sign is when he fans... his neck sets a little off to one side. I believe he's totally healed but tell myself he needs to remain with me. I want to keep all my peafowl...they're pets that eat from my hand but keeping a few chicks each year has added up. I see pictures and read how wonderful some of you are and the thought crosses my mind, "I wish a couple of my birds could go liver there", LOL!!!!

I'm sure glad you waited, he may have a complete recovery. I found it's amazing when they are hurt how they trust you. I'm with Kedreeva, I just couldn't put them down because they have one leg or injured wing, unless they were suffering due to this.

Back
Top Bottom