Injured Peahen

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by peafowlmom, Oct 20, 2012.

1. peafowlmom

peafowlmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    My peahen has some type of injury at the base of her throat/beginning of chest. I did not see for at least a couple months due to belief that she was molting and I had just bought her and she hid in the bushes. Now she isn't as frightened and I have seen this deep wound and maybe hole or crack in her chest.. I cannot catch her until husband gets off at 6:00, well 6:30. Will try to take pictures but scared it will be too dark. How much Tylan per gallon is she supposed to get and should I spray the injured area wound cote?

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe we were told 1 TBSP/Gallon Made fresh DAILY

RobertH

3. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    I wasn't quite sure from your post - do you think that this is an old injury or a fresh injury?
    And, are there any vets that look at peas near you?

4. peafowlmom

peafowlmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    Should I spray this area w/wound kote?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  5. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

I would. or Bluekote, etc. helps to keep flies and bacteria out.

RobertH

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    If it is an old injury and does not look infected or have an oder leave it alone and don't worry about the antibiotics, if she is loose all the time you will just stress her for no reason séance she is already on the backside of this if it is old.

Get us some photos if you are going to catch her anyhow, maybe we can help you identify what might have caused the injury.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by