Injured quail possibly depressed?

MTN Hens

Chirping
May 11, 2016
Hi all,

I have an injured quail who is separated from her friends but won’t eat! She’s too flighty to handle without causing stress, help!

I have raised chickens in the past but about a month ago was given 4 quails, 3 layers and a male. 2 days ago one of my ladies was awkwardly pacing in the small inside space of their enclosure & I realized her beak looked like a small chunk had been chipped out of it & there was blood on her & a little bit on the walls. I was able to isolate her easily by simply shutting the door to that part of the enclosure & her injuries look to be healing nicely. However, she’s not eating. I put crumble and water in that space for her but I know she’s not eating because I also gave her some fresh picked wild raspberries that they all go crazy for & she hasn’t touched them. I was able to get her out today (these birds are really flighty & skittish, it’s been a challenge to build trust) to clean her up & get a good look at her. She definitely has energy so I don’t believe she has any crippling internal injuries, she was likely concussed since she also has a gash on her head. My main question is how healed should her injuries be before she goes back with her friends? Should I have kept her further from them or would that stress her more? I’m worried she will die of thirst or starvation but these birds were not well socialized as babies so the more contact I have with her the more stressful I fear the situation will be.

Just to add, I am well aware that she likely was spooked by the thunder we’ve been having & their enclosure is a bit tight for them. My partner & I have been working hard to build a new coop for the chickens, work on the old farm house, & build a tall enough run for the quail. We have our hands full but have every intention of giving these babes more space so this won’t happen in the future. Thank you for any & all advice or input on what I can do to help my girl!

Back
Top Bottom