Injured Quail Question

SweetUnkyD

Hatching
May 2, 2023
Hello all, I'm new to raising quail and need some help.

I recently put my females in a quail tractor outside. When I came home yesterday there was a hawk sitting on top of the run and one of the quail was on the ground beneath it. After scaring of the hawk I checked on the hen and she had a bloody spot on her head and her head hung low when I picked her up. There wasn't ny sign that the hawk got through to her. so my though is that she got spooked and jumped hurting her head/neck?

I took her inside and have been giving her water with a syringe. Just putting a drop on her beak to see if she wants the water. We picked up some chick electrolyte powder and will be giving that to her when I get home from work.

I guess my biggest question is have any of you dealt with something similar? Her legs still move and she seems to have control of her body but her balance is off and her head was still hanging low almost like she wasn't able to raise it. I will try to post a picture when I get home for context.

The "run" is 3 feet wide, 6 feet long and 12 inches high. Its 2x4 construction with a layer of 1/4 hardware cloth on both the inside and outside of the frame to provide a double layer of fence.

Thank you to anyone that can help!

I've not dealt with the head injury like that, but i have dealt with the head hanging low and weak. Though mine was from a neck injury from others pecking the back of her neck open a bit. It didn't turn out well. Imo, if it doesn't resolve in a couple days it might be kinder to cull.

For your tractor, do you have a semi enclosed area for them to retreat to from predators harassing them? Like on one end having a box with an open door but not totally open wall for them to feel safer from a predator staying around and trying to break in. They really need a spot to retreat to to feel safe, they can be driven to heart attacks from fear.

like:
258222_MAIN._AC_SL1200_V1603416090_.jpg

It's hard to say, but you're doing the right things. Make sure she's warm and maybe keep her area dim so she can relax. You'll have a better idea of whether or not she's going to make it in a day or two.

If a vet is an option, that might be the best thing, but if it's not (which it isn't for a lot of us), then just make sure she feels safe, has plenty of food and water and is kept clean.

I've not dealt with the head injury like that, but i have dealt with the head hanging low and weak. Though mine was from a neck injury from others pecking the back of her neck open a bit. It didn't turn out well. Imo, if it doesn't resolve in a couple days it might be kinder to cull.

For your tractor, do you have a semi enclosed area for them to retreat to from predators harassing them? Like on one end having a box with an open door but not totally open wall for them to feel safer from a predator staying around and trying to break in. They really need a spot to retreat to to feel safe, they can be driven to heart attacks from fear.

like:
258222_MAIN._AC_SL1200_V1603416090_.jpg

Thank you for the reply.

I did some "exercises" with the quail last night where her beak was on my finger and I gently raise her head and lowered it hoping that it would encourage the muscles to activate. we repeated the exercise this morning after giving more chick electrolytes that my girlfriend picked up from the local farm store and some baby bird food that I've used to rear cockatiels.

as for the enclosure it does have a covered structure attached and a couple of covered areas out in the run

Back
Top Bottom