Injured Roo... PLEASE HELP!

TinyTotsSeramas

Songster
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Smithsburg
So I lost 3 of my new Silkied boys last week to a preditor so the lady who gave me them, gave me a new Silkied boy and a Silkied Frizzle boy.. aside from the Silkied boy "dancing" for the Silkied Frizzle, they both got along great.. I went an checked on them a couple hours ago and noticed the Silkied Frizzle wasnt acting right and his comb was bloodied and there was blood around the Silkied's mouth... so obviously they got into a fight an the Silkied Frizzle lost.. I put the Silkied boy in solitary confinement away from the girl's and babie's cages and brought the Silkied Frizzle boy into the ER cage... but the thing I am worried about is, he's one mean cuss an will peck you the second you'r hand goes into the cage (I have to wear gloves when dealing with him), He hasnt been trying to peck me... But that isnt the part that worries me the most... Its been about 4 hours and he's acting a little better but now when i touch him, instead of pecking at me.. He pecks at the ground.. I am hoping there isnt damage to his head or neck..

How would I go about checking for damage to his head or neck? any tricks or tests I could do?

TIA..

So frustrating anymore...
hmm.png

I'm sorry, I don't know. I would suggest, since he's mean to cull him. Mean genes get passed down into future roos...just an option. If he has head and neck injury that's internal than your only alternative may be culling. I hope someone on here will come and hlep though!

They go into shock and if they survive the shock it will be a matter of time before he starts trying to get you. The best thing you can do is keep him warm and quiet, offer electrolytes and vitamins and leave him alone so he can get through it. You can reassess the situation after 24 hrs. Of course, if he has wounds you'll want to clean them with 10% peroxide solution or betadine, dab dry and apply antibiotic ointment to them. Hope he pulls through for you.

Quote:
Well Im happy to say I reached in for his food an water dish this morning and he got me! So he's back to normal except for the obviously bruised comb.. Thank you so much for the information! Im glad I brought him in lastnight now!
smile.png

Try to change him! hold him as you walk around, give him goodies as you are holding him and love on him. He might just become a friendly roo. I have had mean ones come around and be really sweet. Right now I have one who was sweet and ate outta my hand when another rooster was in the pen and now takes my hand off since I removed the other rooster.

Quote:
I've been trying to hold him as much as possible, He use to peck you when you held him (he'd bring himself up over his own body just to get you) but now he only gets you when your reaching in for something or trying to grab him so maybe I'll try your treat idea next! Thank you for the advice
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom