Injured Rooster Spur Question

ChickensRsmart

Songster
Aug 25, 2021
I have a great rooster - the only rooster - the rest are hens. Several months ago, he broke off his left spur and it bled a lot so I used some contractor's line chalk to stop the bleeding - It worked great and now his spur is over 2 inches long and there's still some of the blue chalk stuck to the end of his new spur...
Yesterday however, I had to trim his right spur as it was twisted and growing directly into his ankle...I've trimmed the tip off before without issues. This time however, his spur (the outer sheath) felt loose after nipping the tip off with large nail cutters for dogs...I removed only a small section from the tip of his spur (maybe 3/16" of an inch from the tip) and he didn't react - no indication that it hurt. But then I noticed that his entire spur was "loose." It could move a little bit...no blood at the base of his spur.
So, I put him down and he went about his business. I checked him again a half hour later, and his spur was gone - leaving only the quick...very little blood on the quick. He was then favoring this foot now but also still using it to scratch at the ground. In any case, I checked it again this morning, and there is what looks like a blood blister on the side of the quick (and on the tip).
I am thinking that this means there was some trauma to the quick? If so, is he going to have problems growing his spur back? It does not look like an infection - just blood under the surface of the quick...I am watching for infection...

Thanks sourland.

Am I wrong for thinking that infection is not likely since there's no apparent breaks to the surface of the quick? I suppose you can't refer to the surface of the quick as "skin" but it does not look damaged... It does look (maybe) as though the quick was 'bent' and thus the blood blisters?

Photos may be helpful:D
Thanks WR. It's very difficult to get a good shot - hard to hold the bird's leg out and take a photo at the same time. It won't focus either, but you can see the blister...it and the tip are turning black now - they were bright red this morning...and both have gotten smaller than they were this morning (which is probably a good sign).

Attachments

• IMG00111.jpg
    IMG00111.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG00113.jpg
    IMG00113.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 10
He should heal up ok.

I usually wrap my birds if they knock off or damage spurs since the quick can be tender for a few days, but it should heal up on its own. Yours likely hit it when he went to jump on a roost.

He should heal up ok.

I usually wrap my birds if they knock off or damage spurs since the quick can be tender for a few days, but it should heal up on its own. Yours likely hit it when he went to jump on a roost.
Thanks again WR.

I certainly could have already been loose when I went to trim the tip. And I witnessed him knocking his other spur clean off when he met a brand new hen. LOL. He sure felt that first one!

I've got him in an area by himself - so he doesn't get excited around the girls and hurt himself. He's still favoring that foot, but he also is still using it to scratch at the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom