Injured Rooster - Tunnel Wound

Jun 7, 2022
IMG_3795.jpeg

Hi everyone.

Back in June, while I was out of town and a petsitter was watching my flock, my petsitter told me my rooster’s tail was bleeding a little. He sent me a picture and I wasn’t too concerned, but a couple days later when I got back it was scabbed over and severely inflamed to the point I thought it was a tumor.

I began doing an epsom salt soaks every other day, then cleaning the scab with Hibiclens and bandaging up with, nonstick gauze and simply neosporin. It seemed to be on the mend so I spaced the treatments out, but the last few times I noticed it doesn’t seemed to be getting much better. Today when I tried to work on loosening the scab, part of it came off, revealing a horrible smell and hollow wound.

I don’t know what else to do. Is this necrosis?? Is he likely to recover from this?

Same rooster as the thread you had a while back?

Have you been soaking and treating the wound daily?

Sounds like it's infected if it has a bad odor. If you have vet care, that would be best.
Otherwise soakings and removing the crusty scab and cleaning out the wound would be a good idea. I'd get some Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Betadine and use that to clean the would daily. Triple antibiotic ointment to help keep the wound moist.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-course-of-action-for-this-hot-mess.1587588/

@Wyorp Rock Yes, this is the same injury I posted about several weeks ago. I was advised not to soak the wound daily on the Facebook Vet Corner so it could dry out - However, I’ll start treating daily now because clearly leaving it wasn’t the best course of action. I was really hoping to avoid infection 😣

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom