injured turkey from dog bite

Dec 25, 2023
Hi, we took in 2 dogs yesterday so they were not taken to a dog pound. They got out of the barn and killed 6 of our chickens and have severely injured our beautiful boy Turkey. The most worrying is they have damaged his gizzard area so when he drinks the water is pouring straight out. I have been on the phone to the Avian Vet who has suggested due to the cost to wait till wednesday, estimated fees 900-1100. I have a non profit and love this bird so much that i am willing to pay. My big question is, has anyone experienced this with one of their Turkeys and if yes, did it survive. DOES ANYONE HAVE A STORY OF THIS LEVEL OF INJURY AND THEIR BIRD SURVIVING - any guidance, help anything I would be so very grateful, we have a Care FArm in Mooresville and help women and children through animal therapy.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry for your losses. If water is pouring out from the front of the bird, it almost certainly means that his crop or esophagus is injured. Can you post some pictures of the injury?

Hi, we took in 2 dogs yesterday so they were not taken to a dog pound. They got out of the barn and killed 6 of our chickens and have severely injured our beautiful boy Turkey. The most worrying is they have damaged his gizzard area so when he drinks the water is pouring straight out. I have been on the phone to the Avian Vet who has suggested due to the cost to wait till wednesday, estimated fees 900-1100. I have a non profit and love this bird so much that i am willing to pay. My big question is, has anyone experienced this with one of their Turkeys and if yes, did it survive. DOES ANYONE HAVE A STORY OF THIS LEVEL OF INJURY AND THEIR BIRD SURVIVING - any guidance, help anything I would be so very grateful, we have a Care FArm in Mooresville and help women and children through animal therapy.
If you are capable of it, clean the area and stitch the hole in the crop shut right now.

Back
Top Bottom