Injured turkey - need advice

Found my Jenny like this morning and don't know what happened think my Tom's may have done it. Read most of the info and followed the comments just have to see.

My favorite turkey hen has acquired some pretty severe injuries. I had a chicken receive similar injuries last year and assumed it was from an aggressive rooster. At first I thought the same thing of my turkey. I noticed 2 days ago the larger injury. It measures approximately 5 X 6 inches and is located under her wing. The skin is peeled back clear down to her muscle. There is also a puncture within this area that is about 1/2 in. X 1 in. and is approximately 1/2 in. deep. I'm afraid to cut the loose skin away at this point to avoid the chance of her going into shock. I'm also afraid to scrub this area to clean it. I doubt she will hold still for me. The first night, I coated the larger wound with Triple Antibiotic ointment. While doctoring her, I also noticed a smaller wound directly under this larger wound that is approximately 2 X 3 in. It looked like an older wound that had already scabbed over, but today it was freshly open again which makes me think it was just coated in dirt.
I tried to irrigate the wounds with clean warm water to clean them (without scrubbing), but don't think this is enough. 
Yesterday I was able to get to the farm store and purchase some wound care products. The one I've sprayed on is Vetericyn - Wound & Infection Care. It specificies: hot spots, rain rot, rashes, post-surgical sites, burns, skin infections, scratches, skin ulcers,... 
The other spray is Cut Heal - Aerosol Wound Spray, but it cautions against using on food production animals. So I haven't resorted to it yet.

While inspecting her last night, I noticed a 3rd wound on her other side. It is about 3 X 1 in and is a little deeper. I hadn't noticed it the first night.

I have lost a duck and another female turkey this past week, so am wondering if a predator had tangled with her rather than an aggressive tom. Or could she possibly be doing this to herself?????

She IS a broad breasted bronze turkey so am considering butchering her.

Need advice quick!!!
I have pictures but not permissions to upload them yet.

I have her separated form the others to avoid furthering the injuries. She is acting fine and wants to be with the others.
Tonight as I was doctoring her, I noticed possible egg binding.
So now what do I do?

I want to say thank you for your post and all the information that has been provided. My husband and I are new to farm fowl and have our first turkeys. Our Tom and hen both ended up wounded at the same time for different reasons and both are healing wonderfully. It amazes me what they can endure and bounce back from. Thanks for all the wonderful information and community on this site.

I really like Blu kote and have countless success stories. It is a lotion antiseptic and liquid bandaid all in one. It protects,helps proper scabbing and helps the body bridge in new healing in large wounds. This stuff works! I would clean it with hydrogen peroxide or iodine . Both are a bit aggressive to the flesh. Then just pat dry so you do not trap any moisture in the wound under the blu kote. I hope you can help her. I would love to hear an update as I will keep thinking of your need for help. You may need to debris the wound . You can do this by a soak in some salt water .... then... kind of yucky... but gently pull off the scab and wipe away any necrotic tissue you can. It is disintegrating usually ... and it will wipe off. I would wear surgical gloves!I know it is graphic but do you have a photo for those of us who are used to seeing and dealing with these things?

Back
Top Bottom