Injured wild bluejay

onecent

Songster
13 Years
Aug 8, 2007
halifax co. north carolina
I dont know where to post this, but I hope someone can help, i rescued a bluejay from a cat, it (cat) broke its leg in 2 places, at the joint & a compound break by the foot, the bird has recovered nicely from shock and is eating & drinking very well, but that leg is bad! its swollen and green puss is leaking from the wound, the leg is not usable, also no wildlife person is near, the leg needs to come off in (my opinion) but what on earth do i do?? Ive had the bird about 2 weeks, he/she is great except for that....

Hi onecent,

The jay is an indigenous species and you need to find a certified avian rehabilitator to take it to.
In Colorado the Division of Wildlife does the certification and provides a list of those that are
on their website. The Re-habbers are trained for this sort of thing. The Federal Migratory Bird Act
protects all birds and so it is illegal for any one to possess them..... There are a few that can be
possessed only because they are not originally from the USA - European Starlings &
English Sparrows are the only 2 I can think of.

Good Luck!!

I don't know about Carolina...but in TN, assisting any type of wildlife without a permit can cost you big bucks! I know that sounds stupid...but we have very strict wildlife laws lol

yes im finding this out, ive talked with a few vets & they gave me #s of rehabers, and they are tring to find me some assistance, to no avail, such a shame to lose such a beautiful bird, when a vet could help.... this makes me want to get a rehab permit & training.

The best place to start is just to call up your local rehaber...there are usually several within 100 miles. They can give you the low-down on the commitment, the cost
ep.gif
and how it will affect your lifestyle. Just remember...few if any states will pay you back for housing, feed..anything. You're volunteering for this lol!

I agree with the previous posts that you need to take it to a rehab facility. You have done an amazing job keeping it alive for 2 weeks!
I know you mentioned there are no facilities nearby, but either you take it in or you have a crippled pet bluejay! There are lots of laws regarding interfering with wildlife, but MOST (not all) people involved with animal rescue are very understanding & want to help-- not hit you with fines or get you in trouble.
We have a rehab clinic here that has a hotline 1-707-224-HAWK for people who find injured wildlife. They go door to door the first week in April to inform the public about their services. Granted, it is across the country, but maybe they can assist you in finding a place nearby.

I agree with the previous posts that you need to take it to a rehab facility. You have done an amazing job keeping it alive for 2 weeks!
I know you mentioned there are no facilities nearby, but either you take it in or you have a crippled pet bluejay! There are lots of laws regarding interfering with wildlife, but MOST (not all) people involved with animal rescue are very understanding & want to help-- not hit you with fines or get you in trouble.
We have a rehab clinic here that has a hotline 1-707-224-HAWK for people who find injured wildlife. They go door to door the first week in April to inform the public about their services. Granted, it is across the country, but maybe they can assist you in finding a place nearby.
I don't know about NC Laws, but in Florida it's against the law to take in wild animals and keep them as pets. :( (As much as we want to!)

Thanks everyone, I have spoken to several rehabers all said basically the same thing,Illegal to have the bird, but they all sympathize with me and the blujay, so I am going to get him/her to a rehabber about 50 miles from me, he has one from the same situation (cat attack) and its still doing good 6yrs. later!! rehabber said it couldnt be returned to the wild, so the bird was donated to some NC natural museum, so maybe this one can live a good life too
smile.png
, I really wanted this bird to get well so he/she could be released back into the wild.

Back
Top Bottom