Injured Wing?

Thebazilly

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Cheney, Washington
I had the chickens outside this morning and looked out the window to see the neighbor's dog chasing them across the yard. I fended her off by yelling and throwing rocks, but I think she got one of my hens.

I looked at the chicken and I couldn't see anything wrong with her except some emotional trauma (no blood, no bones sticking out, no wings or legs at funny angles), but she's holding one of her wings kind of droopy and she can't fly onto the roost. I had to pick her up and set her on it with the other chickens. She's not moving much, and I haven't seen her eat or drink anything yet, but that might be stress, it's only been about half an hour.

Is there anything I can do to help her? I don't think her wing is broken, but I could be wrong.

Wings are easily damaged so I wouldn't be surprised even if it wasn't obvious.
Avoid anything that might stress her out anymore, and maybe pick up some Poultry Tonic/Spice from somewhere, I've found that usually helps. Just keep a close eye on her over these next few days.

Fingers crossed for you <3

It's been a few hours now and I've been checking up on her. She's mostly stayed in the corner of the coop, laying down and not moving. She somehow got onto the roost once with the other chickens. I saw her eat a little bit. The other chickens are staying close to her and don't seem to be bothering her. That's sort of sweet.

I let them out for about ten or fifteen minutes and the injured girl just stood under the deck facing the wall and didn't move except to follow the others back into the coop.

Back
Top Bottom