injuries from a dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mattami, Dec 8, 2012.

1. mattami

mattami New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    Townsend, DE
    The neighbors dog made another raid today. We didn't lose any because we caught it in time and chased it away but now I have 3 injuried chickens. Looking for general first aid wound treatment advice and assurance the feather loss will be ok heading into the winter.

Barred rock lost all tail feathers and the skin is off in the area about the size of a silver dollar on it's back near the tail.
    Naked neck lost some fuzzy butt feathers and is bleeding from a tiny wound about the size a pencil tip would make.
    Silver laced polish lost all tail feathers, no other injuries seen.

Thank you!

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Washout wounds > Peroxide once > Neosponen on Gnaws > Place Gnaws on Open Wounds > Wrap gnaws > Vet Wrap. Then they should be good, the vet wrap is about $8.

3. mattami

mattami New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    Townsend, DE
    Easy enough, thank you!

1 person likes this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I like flushing wounds out with Betadine.

[​IMG]

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Be very careful when wrapping with Vet Wrap... It's very easy to make it too tight.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by