Injury, Merak's, or other? Video link included hen difficulty walking....

fifibreen

Songster
10 Years
Aug 29, 2010
Illinois
1) Worried about my hen, she started having trouble walking. I can't tell if she is injured or suffering of disease.
hu.gif

1.) 1) What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Blue Partridge Brahma, 7 months, 8 pounds, weight has been consistent/still growing gaining weight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly?
Either loss of balance, or injury, or disease is causing her to become unsteady. She has become clumsy and has difficulty walking. (See Video Link under #11)

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Symptoms have become severe in the last three days, today being worse. I would say she has never been entirely coordinated, and had a smooth gait. She has always had a slight limp/lack of coordination but previously nothing alarming such as in the video. I have previously attributed it to her size and growth.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Not at this time

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Cannot find any obvious injury or swelling. Leg seems to be positioned correctly. I don’t believe she has slipped a tendon. Bottom of foot is in very good condition (no bumblefoot, no scaly leg mites ect.)

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Could she have suffered a back injury or hip injury?
Could my large brahma rooster have injured her from mounting?
Could she have Marek’s?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She is eating and drinking normally. We feed Layer pellets 16% ” Purina Plus Omega-3” free choice oyster shell and grit. Get to free range as well when we are home.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop appears normal so far

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Separated from flock crated with food and water indoors….seems to cause more stress…

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird till you can get to a vet?
No sure what to do as I do not know what is wrong. In a wait a see pattern. If it’s a injury I would be willing to get x-ray, if folks think its Marek’s then L

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I have a link directly below to a video I took to show her behavior and condition. Please view it to help.

I took images of her face/ head as well today...does not seem to have discharge or swelling that I can tell?

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
5x6 coop
10x18 covered run
20x30 fenced run (no cover day access only)
Pine shavings

It sure could be Marek's, but I wouldn't want to rule out other causes. Other causes I can think of, and have seen in my flock are vitamin deficiencies and maybe coccidiosis or worms, but I think those are less likely given how perky she looks.

-Kathy

Thank You for the reply. It is tricky to know what is wrong as she seems perky and healthy otherwise. I don't want to cull prematurely.... Not sure where to go with this at the moment. She is separated, and when I get home from work I will check her again.

Thank You for the reply.  It is tricky to know what is wrong as she seems perky and healthy otherwise.  I don't want to cull prematurely....  Not sure where to go with this at the moment.  She is separated, and when I get home from work I will check her again.

You could try vitamins, maybe something like Rooster Booster Poulty Cell?

-Kathy

Good thoughts. We did add some to her water. Not eating heartily but did eat and drink some. Not much change. Still having trouble standing and walking.

Good thoughts. We did add some to her water. Not eating heartily but did eat and drink some. Not much change. Still having trouble standing and walking.

I am so sorry to see your beautiful lady ailing. Brahmas are a powerful breed however, agility and grace are not one of their better attributes. The males can be brutal, which I call date rape... His advances may have hindered her. I do hope I am wrong, it does appear she is in the beginning stages of the neural form of Mareks. Even though we vaccinate for Mareks some still fall prey to it. It tends to hit the females just before they begin to lay. I would say about out of every 100 birds here, there are 1 or 2 that will still get progressive leg paralysis. They seam healthy yet will decline over time. Some lines of birds or breeds are more resistant than others. This is attributed to the their genetic make up of the haplotype B variants. Regardless, this does not fix your beautiful girl :( My heart goes out to you as each one of our birds are held close as we get to know their adoring personalities. I will say a chickie prayer for your young lady. You are welcome a couple new chicks next spring.

Best to you and your feathered friends

Tisha

Back
Top Bottom