Injury - my fault.

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
Unfortunately, I missed taking a rubber band off the leg of my 8-9 week old Silkie and the feather grew over it and I didn't see a problem until yesterday. The leg has a, like big scab all the way around the leg. I gave her (?) a bath and soaked her leg to loosen up the scab to see what was wrong with her leg. After I blow dried her I got a really good light and a pair of tweezers. I pulled the scab off, it didn't seem to bother her. It seemed like it was more nerve racking on me than on her. I saw something white in the wound and worried that it might be bone but it didn't seem deep enough to be the bone. I finally got hold of it and thought it was a piece of string. I really, honestly didn't remember putting a rubber band around her leg. My son asked me about it and I told him that I hadn't. Well, I pulled it out of the wound and cut it. It came out and there is a little blood, not much.

Can I use peroxide on the wound? What else can I do for her?

If it were me I'd be cleaning that wound really good with Betadine and then spraying Vetericyn on it for sure. That stuff works miracles...so sorry that your little one has a boo-boo!

Peroxide can damage tissue. Use diluted betadine instead and clean it very well. Then put some antibiotic cream or Vetericyn hydrogel on it. Keep a close eye on it for infection or flystrike.
Curious.. why did you put a rubber band on the chick? ID or something?

Clean out well and if you have neosporin (without the pain relief added - NO "Cain" type its toxic to birds), put this on the wound.
Re-apply as needed. Good luck ;)

Yes you can use peroxide on the wound once or twice, but then no more. Betadine, Hibiclens, or even soap and water, then apply Neosporin (plain) or other brand of antibiotic ointment.

Peroxide can damage tissue. Use diluted betadine instead and clean it very well. Then put some antibiotic cream or Vetericyn hydrogel on it. Keep a close eye on it for infection or flystrike.
Curious.. why did you put a rubber band on the chick? ID or something?

Yes, at the time they hatched I was trying to determine males from females by wing and vent sexing. If both seemed to agree, the chick got a pink or blue rubber band. This one was pink and as far as I can tell from the head feathers, she is a girl.

Can I get the betadine from Walmart? It's almost 6pm here the feed stores are closed or would be by the time I could get to them

Clean out well and if you have neosporin (without the pain relief added - NO "Cain" type its toxic to birds), put this on the wound.
Re-apply as needed. Good luck ;)

I did clean it out well and I don't have Neosporin but I have the triple antibiotic, will it work as well?

Anyone think I shouldn't wash it 2 or 3 or more times a day and reapply a cream or ointment?

Yes you can use peroxide on the wound once or twice, but then no more. Betadine, Hibiclens, or even soap and water, then apply Neosporin (plain) or other brand of antibiotic ointment.

Thank you. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE soap and water to heal wounds. Seems to work wonders on diaper rash too.

Triple antibiotic is the same as neosporin--just a mix of neomycin/polymixin B/bacitracin. After your initial cleaning, the ointment should be all you need to do once or twice a day. Otherwise, your washing off the petroleum jelly base each time. Now if it looks infected or smells bad, you would need to get out the betadine or vetericyn.

Last edited:
Yes, at the time they hatched I was trying to determine males from females by wing and vent sexing. If both seemed to agree, the chick got a pink or blue rubber band. This one was pink and as far as I can tell from the head feathers, she is a girl.

Can I get the betadine from Walmart? It's almost 6pm here the feed stores are closed or would be by the time I could get to them
Yes, Walmart carries it in the pharmacy area.

Back
Top Bottom