Injury on hen's back?

Horrible. We always isolate our injured birds in a protected area (ICU coop) to prevent further injury...
Well, we don't have another coop. Our dogs have had no problems with the chickens and know the rules usually. This was an isolated incident. They are predatory animals naturally after all. The smell of blood can change things. We didn't know she was injured until moments before she was killed.

This implies they've had issues with the chickens before?
Yes, when they were younger. They were reprimanded and punished and never had a problem again. Please note, the original wound was NOT caused by the dogs. We work all day and the dogs are in an outdoor, partially sheltered kennel. There is no way this was caused by them. Unfortunately, today they smelled her blood and were triggered. They were outside for no more than 10 min. They are not vicious dogs. They are very sweet. Look this thread was not created for anyone to judge my dogs, because no one knows them. I merely wanted to know what the wound was. Thank you

They are not vicious dogs. They are very sweet. Look this thread was not created for anyone to judge my dogs, because no one knows them.
I apologize if I came across as judging, as it wasn't my intention. I was more concerned about future complications with the dogs if whatever predator did this strikes again, especially if the predator goes ham and attacks multiple chickens.

Is there any way you can get game cameras to monitor the coop/area that the chickens roam? Gamecams are invaluable when it comes to predators, especially since most (with the exception of most aerial predators) will attack at night, and many (like foxes) will stake out their attack for multiple nights before committing to it.

I apologize if I came across as judging, as it wasn't my intention. I was more concerned about future complications with the dogs if whatever predator did this strikes again, especially if the predator goes ham and attacks multiple chickens.

Is there any way you can get game cameras to monitor the coop/area that the chickens roam? Gamecams are invaluable when it comes to predators, especially since most (with the exception of most aerial predators) will attack at night, and many (like foxes) will stake out their attack for multiple nights before committing to it.
Thank you. No we don't have any cameras, however once they r in their coop, they are safe. The coop is totally predator proof.

You can buy scent markers to help ward off predators. It should help in the future and will usually scare off anything short of a bear.

Back
Top Bottom