injury to hen's leg - need advice - new to raising chickens

Motherof13Hens

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
Our family just starting raising chickens this Spring. Our one hen, 5 months old, started limping two weeks ago. I checked the leg and touched her feet, she didn't respond like she was in pain. A week later she seemed to be getting around pretty good, but still holding the leg up. Now this morning she is worse. She mostly sits in the run or the coop.

We don't know what to do. There is no blood or injury that we can see. I don't think she is in pain, but I am only going by her hopping around on one leg and she doesn't seem mad when I touch the leg/feet area. The other hens aren't pecking her; at least not more than usual.

Any thoughts on what to do? Any advice, besides taking her to the vet, would be appreciated.

thank you

Looks like you didn't finish typing, but I'll give it a shot anyway. There are several possible causes, anything from a sore on her foot to something serious like a tumor or degenerative hip.

First thing is, check the pads of her feet for bumblefoot, some swelling or a dark spot. It's a staph infection, fairly common, probably starts with something like a thorn or small cut. If her feet are ok, she may simply have pulled a muscle or sprained a joint, like we'd sprain an ankle. For this she needs rest and quiet, off by herself where she won't be too active, for a few days. Look her over carefully, if you haven't already, for any sign of a wound or abnormal bump.

And welcome to our forum! Sorry a problem had to bring you here.

If it's bumblefoot, or in case you ever run across it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/554991/antibiotics-for-bumblefoot/0_20#post_7139022

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to/0_20

I have a similar experience with my hen. I think vitamins either in her food or PolyVisol baby vitamins 2 drops a day by mouth would help her just in case she has a deficiency which may have caused this. They sometimes will limp for a month or more before an injury will heal. Sometimes roosts can be too high and may cause injuries.

This morning I picked her up from the coop and placed her in the run. I checked her leg/feet over again - no signs of any injury. She allowed me to lay her on her back while I held her. To me this isn't a good sign - she is friendly but not this friendly. How do you know when a hen is in misery and needs to be put to rest? I don't want to make this choice. How long do I let her go with just laying around (in one spot in the run) or hopping around very little?

Back
Top Bottom