Injury warning!

Pjm14624

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2023
I'm that person who always has to learn things the hard way.

With that being said, we had an "incident" here a couple days ago.
I was standing at the kitchen sink, washing my hands, getting ready to start dinner. As I always do when I'm in the kitchen, I looked out the window where the chicken pen is in full view. I could see the three older girls, but couldn't see the little one, Baby Ruth. She is a solid gray, where the others have horizontal “bars” or stripes. I kept thinking I saw her in the same corner with the other three, but it didn't seem as if she was moving. I decided I should go and have a look.

Halfway up the hill, I saw that it was, in fact, the baby, but she was motionless, and it appeared her neck was stretched upward. I remember the thought flashing through my mind that she’d managed to hang herself somehow, so I started running (well, as close to running as this old, fat ass can be), and when I entered the pen I saw with horror that she was, in fact, hanging.

But, not by the neck. By her lower beak. Somehow she had impaled her lower beak on the part below circled in red, and it was all the way through like a fish hook that had been swallowed. She was very still, and I feared the worse. The horrifyingly amusing thought that went through my mind was that she was posed just like every rubber chicken you have ever seen, the poor thing.

I crossed the pen in like two steps and picked her up, to alleviate the weight in what was surely a painful injury. She never struggled, even when I frantically tried to remove it from her beak. It was so round it was hard to get her loose, but I finally did.

I was holding her like a football with my left arm, and trying to see the injury by tipping her head up with my right hand, but I needed more than the two hands I had. I went next door with her, to my neighbor's house. Judy and I became fast friends and visit with each other 3-4 times a week, often sharing a bottle (or more) of wine. With her help I was able to hold up the little hen's head, while Judy swabbed the bleeding hole with a wet paper towel.

She seemed fine, and the injury looked as okay as I could tell. As I walked her back home, she tipped her head and laid it in my neck. So sweet. I just took fly larvae (
🤮
) and millet up there a few minutes ago and she is running around with the rest of the girls and was able to eat without any problems.

Crisis over.

It’s really hard to explain how attached you can become to chickens. I guess you would have to have constant day-to-day exposure to truly appreciate what amazing, cute creatures they are. But Baby Ruth is and has been my favorite because she has always been so friendly and somewhat affectionate. I spoil her, and she expects me to.

So, I will have to keep an eye on her over the next couple days to make sure she doesn't develop an infection in that puncture spot. And, I learned the hard way to make sure those treat hooks are put up high and out of the way when not in use.

1693601797712.png

So glad that you found her in time to save her. I might alter those hooks so it doesn’t happen again.Is there still a hole in her lower beak? Chickens sometimes will get holes there on sharp objects, and the tongue can sometimes fall down there. Food and water may also leak out until it heals.Do you have a picture of her? She sounds like a very loved chicken. I hope that she lives a long life.

So glad that you found her in time to save her. I might alter those hooks so it doesn’t happen again.Is there still a hole in her lower beak? Chickens sometimes will get holes there on sharp objects, and the tongue can sometimes fall down there. Food and water may also leak out until it heals.Do you have a picture of her? She sounds like a very loved chicken. I hope that she lives a long life.
She seemed absolutely fine the next morning - in fact, she led the jail break out of the coop when I opened the door. I tried her on millet and fly larvae and she gobbled them right down. I hand feed her crumbles instead of pellets because I feel like, if that was me, I don't know if I'd want to be chomping down on those pellets, and the crumbles seem softer. But then again, I worried that food might get stuck in there. So, my neighbor has been helping me check her daily and I can't find the hole anymore, so it looks like it has healed, at least on the outside.

Also, altering the hook would make it impossible to skewer anything on it. I am going to look into some sort of "sleeve" that I can slide up the chain to load it, and then back down over the hook so we don't have that issue again.

This actually happened on the lower beak back between the end of the beak and the under-chin wattles (she has none yet).

Breathing a sigh of relief, but not assuming everything is fine either.

I use a small panel attached to side of run for their snacks and treats, it works really well without any injuries so far.
I used the chain/skewer things because they seem to enjoy it - like they're playing. It also allows the little one (Baby Ruth) to enjoy treats without being run off by the bigger girls, as she is ALWAYS run off. This way, everyone has their own, and they seem to have fun.

I have two panels attached as well, but she can't get near them without being chased off. They remind me of my kids when they were all little. Always wanting what the other(s) had. LOL

I used the chain/skewer things because they seem to enjoy it - like they're playing. It also allows the little one (Baby Ruth) to enjoy treats without being run off by the bigger girls, as she is ALWAYS run off. This way, everyone has their own, and they seem to have fun.

I have two panels attached as well, but she can't get near them without being chased off. They remind me of my kids when they were all little. Always wanting what the other(s) had. LOL
So true! Haha!

Back
Top Bottom