Injury

kimmy9499

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2023
I can't tell if this is an injury or disease. I separated her from the flock and washed it and put triple antibiotic ointment and gauze and wound wrap. Does anyone know what it may be?

Attachments

• 20230129_155657.jpg
    20230129_155657.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 9
Where is it? Looks like an injury, no need to seperate her unless they're bothering it.
Under her wing . Just found it today. First time seeing it. I thought it was weird that she was heading in to roost very early, earlier than all the other chickens. Still eating and drinking. Is it dirty, or is it scabbed over.

I can't tell if this is an injury or disease. I separated her from the flock and washed it and put triple antibiotic ointment and gauze and wound wrap. Does anyone know what it may be?
Welcome To BYC

Is the photo before you cleaned the wound?

Where is this located on her body? I'm guessing under the wing?

How is she acting? Is she lethargic?
Any bad odors from the wound?

One more question. Do you have a rooster?

Cleaning it out well, then apply the ointment was the right thing to do. I would leave the wound unwrapped unless she's picking at it.
If you have Chlorhexidine, betadine or similar, then imho, it would be worth swabbing the wound once daily with one of those, then applying your ointment depending on the location of the wound.

Welcome To BYC

Is the photo before you cleaned the wound?

Where is this located on her body? I'm guessing under the wing?

How is she acting? Is she lethargic?
Any bad odors from the wound?

One more question. Do you have a rooster?

Cleaning it out well, then apply the ointment was the right thing to do. I would leave the wound unwrapped unless she's picking at it.
If you have Chlorhexidine, betadine or similar, then imho, it would be worth swabbing the wound once daily with one of those, then applying your ointment depending on the location of the wound.
Thank you. Yes we have a roster(1) he is under a year old. Thos pic was before the wash. I will take the wrap of. I am concerned she is picking at it but I can't tell. She seems a little more"withdrawn" for lack of better words then usual from the flock. I think it may be a few days old.

Thank you. Yes we have a roster(1) he is under a year old. Thos pic was before the wash. I will take the wrap of. I am concerned she is picking at it but I can't tell. She seems a little more"withdrawn" for lack of better words then usual from the flock. I think it may be a few days old.
It does look a few days old.
She's likely withdrawing so she can avoid the rooster. I'm not saying he intentionally caused this, nails or spurs can sometimes accidentally slice a hen during dismount or even mating.
I've had similar injury on hens and so far, they have healed up fine. Filing/smoothing rooster nails and spurs can help, but accidents can still happen.

You may find that you do have to wrap her if she's digging at it a lot. Mine would pick around the wound just a bit like it was itchy.
Under the wing is quite moist, so if you have Chlorhexidine, swab out the wound with that and let it absorb in and dry just a bit. A very thin layer of ointment, especially around the edges may be helpful. Mine was injured in HOT weather and I found the ointment contributed to excess moisture under the wing, it was beginning to have a slight odor, so I opted to just swab daily with the Chlorhexidine and leave off ointment. This worked very well for me.

As for separation. I like to leave mine with their flock, but if the wound is where others can see it and pick at it and she's with the rooster, it may be a good idea to house her in a cage/kennel within the coop or run if you have room. (Roosters can be moved from the flock to give a hen time to heal too). If that's not possible, then bring her in for a day or so to monitor/clean the wound, get her eating/drinking well.

If she's been hiding out, then she may be starting to get dehydrated, so work on getting her to drink and then offer food.

It does look a few days old.
She's likely withdrawing so she can avoid the rooster. I'm not saying he intentionally caused this, nails or spurs can sometimes accidentally slice a hen during dismount or even mating.
I've had similar injury on hens and so far, they have healed up fine. Filing/smoothing rooster nails and spurs can help, but accidents can still happen.

You may find that you do have to wrap her if she's digging at it a lot. Mine would pick around the wound just a bit like it was itchy.
Under the wing is quite moist, so if you have Chlorhexidine, swab out the wound with that and let it absorb in and dry just a bit. A very thin layer of ointment, especially around the edges may be helpful. Mine was injured in HOT weather and I found the ointment contributed to excess moisture under the wing, it was beginning to have a slight odor, so I opted to just swab daily with the Chlorhexidine and leave off ointment. This worked very well for me.

As for separation. I like to leave mine with their flock, but if the wound is where others can see it and pick at it and she's with the rooster, it may be a good idea to house her in a cage/kennel within the coop or run if you have room. (Roosters can be moved from the flock to give a hen time to heal too). If that's not possible, then bring her in for a day or so to monitor/clean the wound, get her eating/drinking well.

If she's been hiding out, then she may be starting to get dehydrated, so work on getting her to drink and then offer food.
Thank you so much. I appreciate your advice. First time chicken mom. Research will only get you so far with this. I was leaning towards the rooster and you confirmed it. Thank you again.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your advice. First time chicken mom. Research will only get you so far with this. I was leaning towards the rooster and you confirmed it. Thank you again.
You're welcome.

These things happen and when hidden under wings you may not catch it right away either. I'd say with the last hen I had, her wound was several days old before I noticed her acting a bit off.

Again, thank you so much. She is my favorite also. She comes when I call her, follows me all the time, sits in my lap. She is my little sweet heart. I hope I take care of her well enough for her to heal properly. I would be devastated if something happened to her. Lol
20220823_155659~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom