Inside Coop for not so Winter Hardy chicks*Updated*with Pics*

That's great.
Up close pics of the birds?
big_smile.png

I'll have to get pics tomorrow, it's hard getting a good pic thru the screen. Cinnabar my Silkie learned to jump down to the sunroom floor today (which is a 15" drop) I can get pics of her when she comes out of cage. Mom said Cinnabar told the Blue Silkie and BT Buff Jap how easy it was so now they want to try. I never thought how funny
gig.gif
chicks could be until we got the younger batch. They're hatchery stock, but that's ok. The woman in the mirror is my mom watching
pop.gif
the chicks playing in the cage.

Quote:
Here are Pics of the chicks in their cage taken today...

Cinnabar Silkie
67650_cinnabar120810.jpg

Blaze Silkie
67650_blaze120810.jpg

Melody Sultan
67650_melody120810.jpg

Sunshine Sultan
67650_sunshine120810.jpg

Goldie BT Buff Japanese Bantam
67650_goldie120810.jpg

Sunshine and Cinnabar's fuzzy butt - drinking water
67650_sunshine_and_cinnabars_fuzzy_butt120810.jpg

All the chick-clowns on their window shelf
67650_chicks_on_their_shelf1208102.jpg

Cinnabar checking out the top of the cage, the rest looking out the window.
67650_chicks_on_their_shelf1208104.jpg

I built their nest box/tray and window shelf today and they have been going up the ramp and jumping out and down as far as they could...
celebrate.gif

Goofy chicks...
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
I designed and built 90-95% of it myself, just a little help from my dad. It was the hardest
barnie.gif
thing I've ever built, and trust me I've built more than a few things. The floor was the easiest part, but getting the wall frames put me thru h*ll
he.gif
. But it finally worked out, and I'm adding the small stuff a little at a time, I pulled my back with all the leaning over it I did
hit.gif
. The cage on the top shelf is our Sugar Gliders, and all's I have to do tomorrow is put in the roost bar and food tray shelf so they stop bouncing it around when they are playing their feather chase game
wee.gif
We sure are glad it's finished tho...
bun.gif

That looks lovely and what a treat to be able to tend to them and see/hold them at will. I raised my 2 silkies in the sunroom and only put them in a pen in the heated barn come winter when they were 4 months old. I'd rather think that they were especially loved than spoiled. I too am 69 and do appreciate that I had time to see them grow more often than if they were away in the barn. I probably would have kept them in the sunroom over winter but they needed a larger area to roam about.

No need to be defensive about heating. It's a personal choice and should be addressed if asked specifically for opinions.
roll.png

Toast'n Jelly :

That looks lovely and what a treat to be able to tend to them and see/hold them at will. I raised my 2 silkies in the sunroom and only put them in a pen in the heated barn come winter when they were 4 months old. I'd rather think that they were especially loved than spoiled. I too am 69 and do appreciate that I had time to see them grow more often than if they were away in the barn. I probably would have kept them in the sunroom over winter but they needed a larger area to roam about.

No need to be defensive about heating. It's a personal choice and should be addressed if asked specifically for opinions.
roll.png

Thank you, it is great just being able to open the door to the sunroom and be so entertained by an animal that many say are stupid and can't learn. These 5 act unlike the 4 in the outside coop. When we talk to them they listen, and they sing such pretty songs for us, and chitter chatter to us when we talk to them (as if they knew we could understand them and them us). Mom is trying to talk dad into getting another BT Buff Japanese Bantam for Goldie to hang with, she thinks Goldie is lonely for another chick like her. I keep telling her because they grew up together as chicks they think the others are their sisters. She loves having sisters taller than her...

It's not really a matter of heat for them, it's so mom can be near them.

Movie time, have a nice evening,​

Last edited:
Nice indoor coop! No need to defend keeping your chickens in the house as pets. That is your or your Mom's decision. I would not keep a large flock of large fowl in the house but bantams can be kept entertained and their area kept clean.

I like having my animals where they are easy to take care of in the wintertime. Totally dark when I go to work and when I get home. So I have chosen to keep my Seramas in the spare bedroom this winter.

I get to spend so much more time with them since they are inside. These are pets I am talking about not kept primarily for eggs or meat but as pets.

Back
Top Bottom