Inside designs and construction

acates

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Shell Knob MO
My husband and I are currently building our first coop. Would anyone be willing to post pictures of their inside design. I have 7 Chicks. I have 4 nesting boxes built and one roosting bar. I am going to build a poop board for it. Do nesting boxes need to have a top? Right now ours are just seperated but not covered. Any new ideas would be great.

Last edited:
There are a ton of pictures here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Poop board is a good idea. Without one, arrange the coop so the chickens won't walk under the roost on the way from the door to the nest boxes.
For 7 chickens, 2 nests would be enough. They don't need a top at all but they do like a private place to lay.
If you elevate the nests (mine are about 18" above the floor), put a perch on in front so they can hop up and look in to inspect before they venture in.
The roost needs to be wide enough that they can cover their toes with feathers in winter to prevent frostbitten toes.

Where is Shell Knob?

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Shell Knob is in sw Missouri. We are almost on Arkansas border. We live on 40 Acres by the lake. I am 100% surrounded by woods that border the national forest. So my real cocern is preditors.
My chicks are 1 month so I still have a little while until my coop needs completed. But they will have to go under roost to get to nesting boxes so the poop board will be installed. I wanted nesting boxes that were like an add on with the lid. but hubby didn't do it like that so oh well. I was just afraid they would roost on them. The roost bar is wide like 2 inches. I will post pictures when we get a little further along. all of our lumber and tin were left by previous owners so we have only needed to buy plywood, fencing, hardware cloth and little things like hinges and latches!

2" is good. They grow fast so git 'er done. The external nest box is good because it doesn't take up floor space. It is a lot of extra work though so I understand.
My brother lives in Sarcoxie. Are you close to Roaring River Trout Park?

Yes. I think were like 15 miles or so from roaring river. We are finishing up this next weekend. kids are going to grandmas so we should be able to finish it (at least coop) still have to do run. :)

If you have electric at the coop (recommended for keeping water thawed winter), you can put the chicks in there this weekend.
I love Roaring River, I wish I was you. I'd be canoeing (and fishing) from the park to the lake every morning.

Last edited:
yep. its beautiful here. I'm about 1/2 mile from table rock lake. you can see it from my house!

that's my front yard. :)

Back
Top Bottom