Inside duck and flies

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So one of my ducklings I took in with the severe niacin deficiency has been getting slowly better. Her legs have mass and bone now.

But she may never get to be an outside duck. One leg is almost like it’s fused and doesn’t bend well. The other the leg has formed straight but the knee joint is not particularly sturdy and twists way too much sideways

I take her outside every day for some supervised time to play in the grass but I don’t think her legs will ever be good enough for her to be out in the pen where the males will try to mate her.

I dont mind keeping her inside, but for those with inside ducks how do you keep the flies from accumulating?

We have her in a Crate and I clean it daily, often multiple times a day but the room we have her in… her poop attracts soooo many flies. We take her out, kill as many flies as we can. And the next day there’s more.

Anyone have a good way to deal with that?

A friend was just telling me about what she has been using to keep flies away in the coop area so it may work inside. take a bar of Irish spring grate it up put it into a mesh bag like onions come in and put citronella oil over it hang it up. The smell is supposed to keep flies away. I haven't tried it yet but I am. just ordered the citronella oil

A friend was just telling me about what she has been using to keep flies away in the coop area so it may work inside. take a bar of Irish spring grate it up put it into a mesh bag like onions come in and put citronella oil over it hang it up. The smell is supposed to keep flies away. I haven't tried it yet but I am. just ordered the citronella oil
I may have to give this a try

Interesting. I think I'll give that a try to see if it works.

Back
Top Bottom