Inside lining of incubator

xcalibor67

Chirping
Apr 28, 2017
After getting my 1st ever bator finished up and egg ready, i discovered i may have messed up with the choice i made for the inside lining of bator. Its made from a sink style cabinet base, lined with 2" thick white styro and https://www.lowes.com/pd/48-in-x-8-...-Reinforced-Plastic-FRP-Wall-Panel/1000174771 glued to the styro on the inside.. My thoughts were the material would be humidity proof, moisture proof, and easily cleaned., not to mention it has that nice sterile white finish...After running through several hours of heating/cooling and opening lids, it remains to have that Plastic/fiberglass smell. Not a melting smell by any means, just a ever present fiberglass smell. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome. Did look to try and find literature on the panels, but not much luck. Its used primarily in bath rooms, high moisture areas. Do you think the smell would hurt the eggs/chicks? I would hate to completely tear it back down, but do not want to kill a batch of eggs/chicks. thanks.

After posting here i did a search for similar, and did find this:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Fiberglass-Insulation-Board-FRP-EPS-foam_476262889.html
For all purposes this is exactly what i did. They used a resin/fiberglass skin panel on top of the styro. . Maybe my nose is just to sensitive... I have even thought of spraying/applying some type of sealant over the panels, which defeats the purpose of even using it, lol. My daughter suggested that i sleep in the bator a night, and if wake up alive, its ok for chicks?lol.

Just air it out some. Personally, the smell wouldn't stop me from using the incubator. The smell or fumes (if you can call it that) shouldn't be toxic. And the smell probably would not effect the growing chick any. Have you been to a chicken farm? They smell due to massive poop! Just make sure you have enough fresh air and you should be good to go.

ThangBom

Back
Top Bottom