Inside paint?? HELP please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NewHomesteader2010, Apr 9, 2011.

1. NewHomesteader2010

NewHomesteader2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Johnston County, NC
    Does anyone know if it will harm the chickens if we paint the inside of the coop with a latex based paint? I have seen some people paint the inside of their coops and we have OSB so it NEEDS to be painted to protect it from any moisture. Does anyone know?? Can anyone help??
    Thank you

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yes, you can paint the inside of your coop with no problem. Chickens don't chew wood the way parrots do and won't ingest dried paint. The danger comes from paint fumes, but if you wait until the paint is completely dry and the paint smell has completely dissipated, it's perfectly safe.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yup. Many, many people on here have painted the inside of the coop.

4. Engteacher

Engteacher Poultry, Poetry, and Prose

Sep 1, 2009
    Hastings, MN
    Latex paint is fine and will make it easier to scrub down the walls when you clean the coop.

5. muddypuddles

muddypuddles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Definitely paint the interior. I don't think the girls care about the color but mine is lavender inside and it makes me happy every time I open the door. AND its so much easier to clean [​IMG]

6. bantiebabe1200

bantiebabe1200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    Quote:I love lavender!!! [​IMG] We're building a coop this summer too, so I might have to see if my hubby would get freaked out at that color or not, lol! After all it's going to be my coop not his. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by