inside to outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by choopes, Nov 24, 2010.

1. choopes

choopes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    my farm South Alabama
    What age and outdoor tempeture does it need to be when moving chicks from the inside to the outside? Do you leave a light bulb on when it's cold? Is so, how cold?

2. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    It depends how old the chicks are. By 8, 10, 12 weeks they should be able to go outside depending on where you live.

3. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Mine where put outside about an hour after I got home with them from the post office. Sssooo; they were approx three days old. Yes; I have a couple heat lamps on for them: two 100 watt bulbs.at 3.5 weeks old, they have been braving sub-freezing outside temperatures these past couple of days and nights.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I let my chicks out but also have 2 - 250W heat lamps in their brooder coop and depending on the temperature, I may have none on or both on so they have heat if they need it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Sam40

Sam40 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Hi, I have a similar situation, i have 5 SLW, that are now 4 weeks old, i really need to move them out of my living room, (its begining to smell quite bad, think they need more space too).
    Its freezing temps and snowing so i am stuck as what to do, ?? what are you doing.
    I have 3 7 week chicks out side, could i put them together would they keep each other warm?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  6. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Last year a suggestion was given which I did and loved on our coldest nights...Fill a five gallon bucket with very hot water and place a lid on it (wallmart or bakeries will give you frosting buckets free if you ask) as the night goes on the heat will dissapate slowly. It works like a radiator. The lid also doesn't pass steam which would lead to condensation and as condensation freezes can cause frost bite. You don't have to worry about fires, or electricity to keep it on. I place it in the center of the coop and if they need heat it is there and if they are too hot they can move away. Keep them safe from drafts more so than cold but actually if they are feathered out they are good for cold weather. Cold activates the downy underfeathers and they puff up and insulates the chicken. use some bag balm or vaseline on their comb and waddles to keep away frost bite and make sure the roosts are wide enough so that when they sit they cover their feet with their bodies and keep their toesies warm. Granted I live in Florida and we had probably 15 freezing nights last year but my girls were well protected and safe.

Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by