inside vs outside temps.. and how much heat do those chickens create?

I don't heat or insulate here in Southern tier NY. I do use a heater fount for the waterer though. I think even a insulated coup with no heat would freeze water in this climate. The chickens fluff their feathers to trap warm air inside,you can feel heat a few inches away from them in the winter. As far as putting out enough to keep the water from freezing,I don't think that will work. JMHO Will

Shelley, you've done a wonderful job with that coop and your birds will be fine. As for the water, you're right- that's the issue. I know you will be running electricity in the spring, and that will solve your problem. It's an anxious time I know. We built in winter and second-guessed everything. You're doing great!
cool.png

Last edited:
It was 10 degrees this morning at 6am and inside the coop it was 26 degrees. No heater! Just hot chicken breath!
lau.gif

yuckyuck.gif

Hi Linda... it is so difficult walkng around out there right now progress is slow. We did beat the snow off the roof and finish shingling and I lowered the nesting box per your suggestion and I am sure some of the chickens will still manouver under there. Now the question is... where to put the roost, somewhere far enough out that their poop doesn't will any of the window tracts
sickbyc.gif
How do they get up to their roosts anyway?

I guess I am going to have to come up with something creative for a waterer, with a thermostat... sounds like a job for Princess Auto!
thumbsup.gif

We have even managed to find someone who will hatch a couple of silkies and a couple of buff polish for us, just because they are so cute! My office mates think I am insane!

Last edited:
Hills, we do have a heated dog bowl for water. Comes on at 35 degrees and goes off at 40, if that helps a bit! Good luck!

1mommahen thanks for your thoughts....
hide.gif
... I am hoping to do something that ties into a several gallon water bottle (because our water has arsenic) with something long and tall.. I can see it in my mind....
hu.gif
I am an odd bird! hehe

Back
Top Bottom