Insight on Breed Personalities and Bantams Vs. LF

I love the Barred Rocks...there's so many good things to say about them. They are amazing layers and egg size is decent, and they're super friendly with people. They do tend/are known to be dominant/a bit aggressive with flock mates, especially odd-looking chickens (e.g. cochins, silkies, etc.), but mine isn't too bad, and the older she gets, I think the more mature she acts, too.
I've never had any RIRs, but I believe one of my neighbors has or used to have one or two. I liked them, too. I don't think those neighbors made super docile pets out of them, so they weren't real super friendly, but they were still somewhat sociable and just nice tempered birds to humans (they also seem to be on the aggressive side with other chickens).

The only cochin (which was a bantam) I've ever had was a sweet, darling little baby, but it died maybe five days later after I got it. :-( I think it was blind, too, and just didn't really eat or drink.
Silkie bantams, in my opinion, are pretty nice pets. I think they are/would be more trusting if hand raised, but after my boldest one died, my shy and more aloof one came around a whole lot and depends greatly on her humans. I have a baby silkie, too, and while s/he is somewhat calm, I don't care too much for it as of right now. She's kind of...odd. Oh, and they're horrible layers and don't like the snow, or being wet, and just aren't very hardy in general. But they are soft, sweet, calm, fairly quiet, and cool looking. :D

Do you think it would be a problem if everyone is the same age? I'm basically planning on one-shoting this. Not adding more chicks later. Just buy everyone at once and let them grow up together.

The odds of all the same group working are much better then integration. One year later and I'm still having issues. Within the last week they have gone in reverse. I had to seperate the salmon faverolle because she is way to sweet and they take advantage of that.

Are New Hampshire Reds any friendlier to other chickens than RIRs?

And same questions about Dominiques vs. BRs?
I don't know...maybe? New Hampshires have a lotta' RIR in them anyway, I believe.

I have no idea about Dominiques' personalities, but from what I've read about them, in general they sound like they get along pretty well with most breeds. :)

Back
Top Bottom