Insoluble Crushed Granite Grit OR Oyster shell ??

k4eqh

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
Waterloo, Alabama 35677
Newbe here.....this question has probably been answered many times BUT, I wasnt here to find out so I will ask again.

Going to the store to buy Granite Grit in 5 # bags for about $1.00 per pound seems to be a bad idea....I have inquired

around to several co-op, feed stores, etc etc etc to try and buy it in 50# qty at a decent price to no avail....My pheasants

love the stuff, Guineas crave it, my Peafowl would almost rather have it than food.......yet you cant but it in bulk at a good
price in our area..............Next Idea: Everyone that I have talked to at the feed stores suggest Oyster shell. I wouldnt think
it would be the same because I do believe oyster shell breaks down in the bird offering calcium etc etc etc and it would
not offer the same grinding effect that Granite Grit would have....and granite grit would probably not break down. What
is the opionion of you readers, and am I correct in saying that each has its own purpose and both should be supplied
to the flock? Any discussion would be helpful....................thankx.........k4eqh............zip

Ya, they are for different things. Grit to help grind up their food / digestion. Oyster shell for the extra calcium laying hens need. Not sure why you are having trouble finding grit, most farm and feed type stores should carry it or at least be able to order it for you, they are usually around $8 or $10 for a 50 pound bag. Maybe talk to a manager or somebody who does ordering and see about getting some in?

Kelsie...............Yep that is the problem............I can find grit in 5# bags for $4.98 per bag..............seems rather expensive

I have called around here locally to the co-op's etc. and some of them dont even have it...heh heh heh ....on the internet

I have found 50# bags but would bet the shipping would be terrible ....... I will continue to look around, and until then, buy

the 5#ers because my flock loves the stuff................thankx....................k4eqh..............zip

I wonder if they aren't finding it under grit on their computer or something? Manna Pro makes those buck a pound 5# Chick Grit bags, but other companies make the 50# bags and they are sometimes called crushed granite or something like that. Looked at one I have here and it is called Crushed Granite Garni-i-grit made by North Caroline Granite Corp.

.............. I do believe oyster shell breaks down in the bird offering calcium etc etc etc and it would
not offer the same grinding effect that Granite Grit would have....and granite grit would probably not break down.  What
is the opionion of you readers, and am  I correct in saying that each has its own purpose and both should be supplied
to the flock?  Any discussion would be helpful....................thankx.........k4eqh............zip

I agree and can add little to the discussion. I'm a cheapskate so for calcium I mooch up eggshells and put them in a little rabbit pellet dispenser that hangs on the side of my main feeder in my layer pen. For grit, they eat dirt.

Kelsie...........thankx for the comments...................I been looking for a local supplier that I can mabe get 50# from without haveing to ship it in from somewhere. Shipping
would add tremendously to the price.....I havnt been to town personally to talk to a couple of the feed store persons but am going to do just that....mabe tractor supply
could order it or mabe they have it in stock but not out on the shelves......still got alittle looking around to do........................thankx again

k4eqh...................zip

TSC has poultry grit but it's more expensive than what has already been mentioned; $5.99 for 5# and they have 25# bags for $8.99. It goes a long way, 1# grit to 40# feed. Unless you're feeding coarse grain to caged birds off the ground or your chickens don't scratch in dirt they'll digest their feed just fine.

Back
Top Bottom