Inspect Those pull ropes!!!

Chook-A-Holic

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Central, N.C.
Just a reminder for those of us who have pull ropes for our pop doors. I got a call from a friend tonight who lost his friendliest hen this morning. He went to open the pop door and when it was halfway up the pull rope snapped and the door came down on the hens neck. The hen was killed immediately due to a broken neck. So check those ropes for chaffing, UV damage, or just general wear and tear. Sometimes it's just the simplest of things...

I am in German y on business for the next couple of weeks. My wife told me last night the dang rop broke on our pop door. I would have been really sad if the pop door would have killed one of them, especially my daughters very tame aruacana. Does nayone have any suggestions on something that is extra durable? Maybe some of that plastic coated cable???

My rope is very durable and has stayed in great shape for the past 18 months. It is all inside and I check it pretty good because that has always been my fear. However...my stupid arthritis was acting up the other week and as I went to tie the rope off after opening the door it slipped from my fingers and fell on a bantam Cochin hen right across her back. This is a big piece of 3/4" exterior plywood! I must have done some damage to her because she has been breathing rough ever since. She still walks fine and eats and drinks but hasn't laid. I feel so bad!
hit.gif

I bet the cable would be more durable as long as it doesn't get pinched by anything. I would prefer a crank of some sort like for a boat, only smaller. It would sure help to avoid some accidents.

The building where my chickens are was originally a dog breeding/boarding kennel, for previous owners of this property. The (heavy!) dog doors are operated by cables (at least 1/4" thick, the kind that are multiple strands of wire twisted into a 'rope' of wire) that are now probably pushing 20 years old and are still in great shape.

I am not sure how well cable would work for a very lightweight popdoor, though, as it is not the softest floppiest stuff in the world. FWIW for the other popdoors I've made myself, I just use a thinnish nylon rope and inspect it periodically.

Condolences to those who have lost chickens this way, every time I close the turkey poults' door (which is one of the original heavy ones and *very* free-moving compared to the others) I worry about the same thing,

Pat

In the Army we use what is called 5/50 cord for everything. It is actually parachute cord and is extremely strong stuff. I use it for my pop door, and have for some time. It is virtually weather proof and slips easily through the guiding eyes I have in place. 5/50 cord can be purchased in most military surplus stores, and I've seen it in alot of camping/outdoor stores as well.

Back
Top Bottom