Inspecting Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Torch404, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Torch404

Torch404 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Northern Cali
    I just got my first chickens. [​IMG] [​IMG] they are three 4-5 month old pullets. Two EE's and a red sex-link. That's what the kid I bought them from said. It went down kinda like some back alley deal. Actually it happened in a pitch dark alley so may be it was exactly like that. [​IMG]

I told him what I wanted and he picked out three from the huddled birds inside a small dog house. I've had them for a day I am happy they are very beautiful. They are calm enough that I can catch and move them a little. After reading some descriptions of how to hold them I think I'll be able to give them a good once over tomorrow.

What should I be looking for? Obviously any bugs or what not but is there any thing else I should be aware of?They all seem to have their tail feathers a bit beat up. I'm guessing it was from them all being packed in a little dog house, anything else it might be?

One seems to have a messed up toe. The toe doesn't point where it should and it's twisted so the nail looks sideways. She was the only one that actually used the perch so I can't be that bad.

Let me know thanks!!!

2. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Clandestine chicken trading! What next!

Anyway, theyʻre yours now so check them out. The usual things to look for are breathing problems (fungal infection), a discharge from the eyes or nose (bacterial infection), bad appetite (worms) or a lot of scratching (mites or lice). You could try worming them since you donʻt know where they have been, giving them a vitamin supplement, dusting them with pyrethin powder, etc. But most of all, quarantine them until you are sure that they are healthy. 90 days at least.

Good luck. Now, Iʻve got these wooden nickels for sale........

3. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    Quote:They should not have to quarantine; they said these are their first chickens.

4. Torch404

Torch404 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Northern Cali
    Quote:Don't have to worry about the quarantine they are brand new to me and the only ones I'll probably get till they start laying. I'm feeding ACV in their water and was going to DE up the coop when I can get some. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to see if their are any mites on them that need to be treated. I'm still practicing catching them and they are not entirely comfortable with me yet. One I did see a clear bubble coming out of one nostril but there does not seem to be any more discharge. Is snot normal? Or is that something to keep an eye on?? Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by