Install vertical window sidways?

RachRed

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 5, 2014
I'm in the planning stages of building a 4x8 coop and I found a great deal on a big double paned sliding window. It is intended to be vertical, but I would have to install it horizontally to fit. I know it's not recommended to do this, but it's an awesome deal and I'm on a budget! Has anyone had success doing this?

Also, it's a used, double-hung window (34x69). And there will be a foot or so overhang over it.

I wouldn't do it. You may have problems like the sashes wanting to fall out depending on how the window is designed. Look it over good first and make sure it won't cause any such problems

I think you are probably fine to install it horizontally as long as you brace the window along the horizontal in a few places (to keep the frame from slumping and making the window hard to open/close). Big windows are great in the coop! My birds love to sit in the sun on the roost bars during the Winter in front of the windows.

Last edited:
I did it with a window I scored off CL. But mine was smaller than yours, I've had no problems with it at all. Mine is pretty much left open all summer and closed all winter.

Thanks, everyone! I think I'm gonna go for it as long as it appears to work properly on its side. I may seal off the bottom with tape or something for the winter to avoid leaking.

Back
Top Bottom