install windows in coop backwards?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rendezvous1838, Mar 30, 2012.

1. rendezvous1838

rendezvous1838 Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't want to hijack another thread but I want more info on this.

Why would you install windows on the inside of the ccop wall. I can't see any obvious reason. Fill me in on the trick.

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    The only benefit I see, is that you can open the windows from outside the coop. But if you have hardware cloth installed over the window opening, as you should, that benefit goes away.
    Jack

3. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Rain hits the top half of the window, rain runs down the bottom half of the window hits the sill which is slope and directs the rain away from the inside of the coop.

Install the window "backwards". Rain hits the top half of the window, rain runs down and hits the top of the bottom half leaking between the halves. Some rain continues on down until the sill which is slope into the coop allowing more rain to enter the coop.

4. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I'm confused! We have windows in the coop. We actually
    used one sideways just to make the opening bigger, but it's
    not backwards.

5. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    I don't understand the backward part either. My DH installed the windows so I could open them from outside the coop since our coop is elevated and small and you can't actually walk into it.

6. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I assume thats what the op means....the inside of the window is to the outside.

good for opening from outside not good for keeping water out without good overhang

7. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    In a previous thread someone installed vinyl windows so that the window could be slid open while standing outside the coop, instead of inside like a normal house install. The window had weep holes for drainage and since the window was installed to be opened from the outside, that placed the weep holes inside the coop. I'm not sure if all vinyl windows have weep holes or something else for drainage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by